Sunday, September 7, 2014

Coloring on Vellum

I've seen so many people coloring on the back of vellum lately, that I needed to try it myself. Here's my card, then I'll explain:


First I stamped the Hero Arts Daisy Outline Pattern background stamp onto a piece of card-stock-weight vellum using Versamark ink, then heat-embossed it in white. I turned it over and colored the flowers with Copic markers. I might have gotten tired, and also out of ideas for what other colors to use, so I opted to leave some of the flowers white. To make them pop more, I colored the spaces around all the flowers with a light-blue Copic.

I put mini glue dots behind the centers of the larger flowers and stuck the vellum to a white card base. I put the sentiment strip on, and added a few Hero Arts Silver Metallic Decor pieces, and also added them to the centers of the flowers to help disguise the mini glue dots.

Now let us discuss the meaning of "clean and simple". This card does not look CAS, but it's one layer of embossed vellum. Why does this matter? Because I was inspired to make this by two current challenges. One is the CASE Study challenge to be inspired by this card by the fabulously talented  Debby Hughes:


and the second challenge is the current CAS-ology challenge:



I colored under the vellum, but I'm not sure this qualifies as CAS, so they may disqualify me, and I'm okay with that! :)

This was fun! Next time I might choose a less-busy background, though. :)

Thanks for stopping by!

ETA: This card won Top 3 at CASE Study!

CASE Study top3


Stuff I used: Inkadinkado Linen White embossing powder, SU Mini Glue Dots, and the following:




13 comments:

  1. This is SO pretty! Love the technique--will have to try it now. You used a big stamp, with an all-over pattern, for the white heat-embossed outline, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. CAS or not it's a stunner! Love the colours and how the oranges really pop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely beautiful! W.O.W!!! This is truly a masterpiece!
    Thanks for sharing your card with us over at CASology! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh! I love it! Wow! Thanks for joining us at CASE Study!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So VERY glad you shared with us!!!! Stunning!!!! Thanks for joining us at CASology, love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leslie, your card is vivid and eye-catching!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing your lovely CAS crafting with us at CASology for the 'under' challenge, Hazel, Guest Designer x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really clever to stamp the whole background. This looks absolutely fun and amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for joining in with CASE Study challenge this week! Wow, that is some awesome Copic colouring!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The problem with coloring on vellum is first you must heat emboss on the front side and that makes me cranky. I mean heat embossing makes me cranky, not necessarily the vellum, but really what does one do with that stuff?! Yours is a great card and well done, fancily colored and all, but CAS??? I'm not sure I'm buying your Southern Arizona swamp land!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations for the HM at CASE Study for your pretty card, Leslie!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)