Sunday, October 21, 2007

Back to Real Life

I am back home in Maryland and the weather is PERFECT! I love the Fall! I do not think I could live in Florida where it is 90+ degrees with 90%+ humidity in the middle of October.

I have unpacked the clothes - had to do them first to get the nasty suitcases out of sight so the cat stopped checking them out. I need to leave the house to go to work tomorrow, and I cannot have her freaking, ya know?

Today I unpacked the stamps and supplies I had taken with me. As I did, I rediscovered the card fronts I made in FL and realized I had a few I have not shared yet.

I found this stamp in a gift shop. My Dad and I were looking for trinkets to bring back, and there was a whole rack of stamps "Made in Florida", so I grabbed this one and one other that has not seen ink yet.

I never had the SU flamingo stamps, so this one just called to me. If you look closely, he looks a bit under the weather, so he would be perfect for a Get Well card. For this one, I just paired him with some Basic Grey papers I had out.

I brought my Supersize Snowflake stamps with me and mounted them. This stamp is the same size as our background stamps, and has both a solid and an outline snowflake in the set, in addition to a sentiment that I cut off and mounted on the end.

As with the Pick A Petal set, I like these large images to hang off the edge of the card. It lets me use the image without overwhelming the card, and leaves room for a sentiment or for some bling.

I got the idea for using the Joy sentiment with the snowflake from a post on Julie Ebersole's blog where she showed the cover of the latest Paper Crafts Holiday Cards issue.

Recipe (all products by Stampin' Up!): Stamps - Supersize Snowflake, Love & Joy, Short & Sweet; Ink - Versamark, Old Olive; Paper - Whisper White, Bashful Blue, Retired DS paper; Other - Silver EP, White gg ribbon colored with Old Olive marker, silver brad from retired Vintage Brads, Dimensional.

One of the things I labor at is serious cards. I like the whimsical and full-of-attitude ones much better! I know several sections of my Craft Show offerings are thin, and Baby cards is one of those areas. I bought the Everything Baby set because I have been looking for an "Oh, Baby" sentiment for a while now. I know it does not meet the 50% rule, but hey, I am my own best customer! I packed it for Florida so I would use it!

I paired the sentiment with the Lockhart baby carriage, which I inked in Basic Gray and stamped off once to soften it a bit. I did not color the carriage, just the blanket. I colored the ribbon by rubbing it on the Soft Sky ink pad. It came out a little dark, but it gives some contrast that way. I made two more of this design...one in pink and one in apricot.

Recipe (all products except the carriage are by Stampin' Up!): Stamps - Everything Baby, Carriage (Lockhart); Ink - Basic Gray, Soft Sky; Paper - Soft Sky, Whisper White, Soft Sky DS paper; Other - White gg ribbon, Ticket Corner punch.

One other area of my offerings where I could use some more designs are Wedding cards. People seem to look for more traditional, serious, classic-type cards, so I thought I'd work on that. I actually have a Happy Anniversary card similar to this design and someone asked if I had any that said 'wedding' instead. Well, now I do!

I had forgotten what the Anniversary card looked like, so I had to wing this one. I knew I wanted to use the flourish from Baroque Motifs, and I looked and looked for a Stampin' Up! wedding sentiment but had none with me, so I broke open my Impression Obsession clear stamp sentiments I had packed. I like how it came out!

Recipe (All products by Stampin' Up! except the sentiment): Stamps, Baroque Motifs, sentiment (Impression Obsession); Ink - Sahara Sand; Paper - Very Vanilla textured card stock, Sahara Sand, Very Vanills; Other - Vanilla Tafetta ribbon, Ticket Corner punch.

This is the one card I managed to do today amid all the unpacking. I saw the directions for making this snowflake on SCS and I just had to try it! It uses both the small and large Tag punches - so simple! The original card and a link to the instructions can be found here.

I can see the possibilities with this technique. I used Shimmer Paper for the tag punch-outs, but it is difficult to see in the photo. I plan to try other variations of this design, like using patterned vellum or adding glitter so it is more showy.

Recipe (all products by Stampin' Up!): Stamps - Short & Sweet; Ink - Sage Shadow; Paper - Sage SHadow, Soft Sky, Wintergreen DS paper, Shimmer White, Vellum; Other - Lg & Sm Tag punches, Snowflake punch, Ice Rhinestone brads, Soft Sky double-stitched ribbon, Dimensionals.

Enough creating for today. I have to go finish the laundery so I can go to work in the morning. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)