Thursday, July 24, 2014

I Might Be In A Rut

Yes, I might be in a rut, or two. Between the yellow+teal+red color combination and the stamp-with-an-acrylic-block technique, I'm not sure which rut is deeper. So I've been doing challenges to try to pull myself out of it, but I fell right back in.  Just look:


Yeah, the block, again. I started with the colors from the current Color Throwdown:


I used Distress Salty Ocean, Mustard Seed and Seedless Preserves. My printer apparently printed the Bermuda Bay a little bluer than it should have. Hmmm, maybe I'll play again using Peacock Feathers.

The key to stamping with an acrylic block and keeping control of your ink is to first cover your block with Versamark ink. This is a trick we learned in the last Online Card Classses: Watercolor For Card Makers class. You then put your colors of ink over the Versamark. I used the mini versions of these inks because it's easier to apply them, but I've used full-sized Distress ink pads before.

Because of the Versamark, once you spritz the inks, they blend fine, but they don't want to drip off the block, which allows you to turn the block over and get good placement. No runs, no drips, no errors. (Name that commercial, and the celebrity who starred in it.) Also, when you lift your block, the colors don't run outside the perimeter of your stamped block. Nice ...

This time I decided to use my I-might-have-invented-something idea to leave the acrylic block on the water color paper and not lift it. I just let it dry in place. This is also easy when you have your water color paper taped to a separate board or something else sturdy so you can move it somewhere and let it dry, thus freeing up your work space to continue crafting.

So, once that was dry, I needed to figure out what to do with it. I glanced through my stack of Do These challenges and selected the current Freshly Made Sketches sketch:

I trimmed down the panel, then put a strip of black washi tape on it. Hey, it was out on my desk. Also, I own no purple washi tape, or I might have tried using that instead. Let's look at the bottom half of that card:


I did try to paint a purple line above the strip of washi tape, but it sorta got lost under the box of tissues. Ah, that box of tissues ... it was retrieved from my UFO pile (so proud), and amazingly it was made using the same set that I used for the sentiment. I just put it on with some foam tape.

I hope to one day move on from this technique, I really do. But first, I might try it with pastels. Yes, I bought some Hero Arts pastel mini ink pads. Shocking., I know. We'll see.

Thanks for stopping by!




Crabby

I just love the Life Is Good set by Lawn Fawn, so I used it today to make a card for two challenges. The first challenge is the current Lawnscaping challenge to use water coloring:


and the second challenge is from The Card Concept to use these colors:


Here's my card, then I'll explain:


I thought I'd try something a little different. I first taped the water color paper to my craft mat, then I smooshed Archival Viridian and Aquamarine inks onto my craft mat, spritzed them with water, and used them as watercolors for the background. (There really is green in there, I promise!)  I stamped and die-cut the images and water colored them, too.

After I dried the background, I spritzed it with my now-opened Hero Arts Unicorn White spray. It left nice white splotches on the background, which you can barely see, but it's there and looks very cool. I'll have to use that more now that I've opened it.

And yes, my crab is blue. We've had this discussion before. The only crabs that are red when alive are the Christmas Island crabs. Otherwise they are blue or green/grey. Look it up. Since this guy is smiling and holding up his claws, I suspect he's alive. :)

I created an ocean floor by water coloring over the blue and green with a little Archival Coffee, also watered down, to make the sand. When I walk the sand bars off of Sanibel Island in Florida, there are live star fish and sand dollars resting there, and you have to be careful not to step on them., They're buried in the sand, but still, you can feel them. They're only white when they are dead and bleached by the sun. And I know those shells on my card are bivalves, not sand dollars, I was just sayin' ...

ANYway, I needed something on the left side of the card, so I added some clear sequins. I got a little over-zealous and used a bit too much Glossy Accents and it squished up through the holes, so I added more to make it look like I meant to do that. They are very shiny.

This card also weighs a few pounds since I used watercolor paper for the die-cut critters and the speech bubble. They are very thick, but I love the look, and the pieces match the water color base paper, which is something I like to do for consistency.

I'm off to tackle a few more challenges.

Thanks for stopping by!

Stuff I used: SU Kraft/Crumb Cake card stock, misc clear sequins, and the following: