Sunday, June 3, 2012

Word Verification -- Not Always a Bad Thing

I used to have Word Verification (WV) turned on for my blog posts, not because I wanted to make your lives miserable, but because I was getting spammy comments if I didn't. Some of my bloggy pals and I made a game of it and would use the WV in a sentence as part of our comments, and some of them were hysterical.

A lot of challenge blogs ask you to turn off WV to make it easier for them to comment, and I understand this -- commenting on dozens of posts is work, and the WV slows you down.

When Blogger changed their WV from one word to two, I was at first annoyed ... very annoyed. Partly because they didn't warn us before the change, and partly because the two words were double the work and more difficult to read. I turned mine off, and yes, the spammy comments are out of control, but at least Blogger screens them and they don't post to my blog, though they do fill up my Inbox.

HOWEVER, I am no longer annoyed with the WV idea. Why? Because it is A GOOD THING.

"reCAPTCHA is a free CAPTCHA service that helps to digitize books, newspapers and old time radio shows."

Don't believe me? You can read all about it here.

Now when I comment on a blog with WV enabled, I get past my annoyance by thinking that I'm helping to digitize publications. I smile, type, submit, and move on. It's a small price to pay, really.




1 comment:

  1. But {whining voice}.... I have a very hard time reading the hieroglyphics and sometimes have to type in several tries.... that makes me mad and I'm a Type B personality! Can't they do a good thing and improve their service? *smile*

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)