Thursday, August 12, 2010

Just a Typical Day In the Life ... (Not)

It's been a wild ride today. It all started when I woke up and thought I heard rain. Yep. It was raining. Eh, I can handle rain. I mean, it's not like last week where it was raining sideways, with 50 mph winds, then the lights went out and stayed out for a few days, right? Wrong.

I stepped into the living room and the rain started to really come down. Then we started again with the wind and the thunder and the lightening, so I logged on to weather.com and then the lights went out. Seriously.

Well, this wasn't like last time, right? The lights would come right back on, right? RIGHT?!?! Wrong. I waited until the lightning stopped and the thunder moved on, then called in to work to tell them I'd be a little late, and quickly took my shower (by candlelight). When I finally left for work, it was lovely out. Look at that sky:

But don't look over there:

Ew. I was fortunate that I take the beltway to work, because a lot of streets had downed trees and flash floods. As I drove, I heard about two water rescues near a local creek, and there were rumors of a ... what did they call it ... not a wind sheer - those are what take out planes. Um, it was basically a wall of water that they said was really hail that had melted on its way down. It was ugly. I only had to deal with a few dead stop lights once I exited the beltway, and if people could remember that 4-way stop thing, it would have been totally uneventful for me.

I knew we were supposed to have more bad weather for the commute home (HOW did I get to be so lucky?), and not only did we get it, but we also got a tornado watch with it! For free! YAY! Ohboy!

Fast forward to about 5:45 pm, and I was driving into this:

... and yes, this is normal traffic. Actually, it was kindof light today. But that sky - ew. Serious lightning. I tried to capture it, but I failed to do so.

Then it started to rain. REALLY rain. Eventually I pulled over and just turned on my flashers. This was all I could see out my windshield:

A whole lotta wet. (No, that's not a pirate ship like some of my Tweeps thought. It's one of those brown, historical road signs.)

I got home, and still no power. Bummer. I went to the fridge to save the remains of my very, very thinly-sliced corned beef, and as I rummaged for the beast, the lights came back on! Yay! Woo-hoo! Life was good, and I was back on track.

On track for what, you ask? Last night I had this idea. I've been making normal cards for way too long, and I felt the need for snark. I thought if I made up one design and just changed out the sentiments, I could crank out a whole bunch of cards at once. So I did. I settled on 12, and my goal was to use up some of the papers in the Heaplet. I selected a few papers, a few sentiments, stamped everything on white, die-cut all the parts-is-parts, and ended up with this pile:

Some of you SU people will recognize these striped papers. What do you think: 2003? Well, they're gone now! I assembled as much of the cards as I could, and just left off the pieces that needed to be colored. Here's the stack of almost-complete cards (and a look at one of the sentiments):

I colored one of the ladies and realized I could do that even if they were attached to the cards, so I attached them all and called it a night. When I went to bed last night, I had this set up and waiting for me for when I got home tonight:

Just look at all those little soldiers! Of course, this photo was taken last night, because when I got home tonight, there was no power. But once it came back, I tackled the coloring. I'm proud to say I have finished them all, plus four more, because I could. Let's have a look!

First, we have Jane wearing the very popular Tempting Turquoise:

I think she speaks for a lot of us on some of our more "sensitive" days.

Next we have Margo, sporting some vibrant Green Galore:

She is quoting one of my Tweeps who was shocked when she quoted someone who'd said this and I replied, "I have that stamp." I don't lie about these things. I am quite proud of my collection of irreverence.

Speaking of which, here is Carlotta, also sporting Green Galore, but with a different sentiment:

Now how many of you have felt like this? Hmmm? Maybe only a few hours ago? Like in the pouring rain? Like when that I D I O T was driving in torrential rain with no head lights? YEAH, THAT IDIOT!? Oh, wait, that was me screaming. (nevermind)

Next, we have Sharon wearing Pink Passion:

She has issues similar to Jane. In fact, they are very close friends.

Next up is Tammy, wearing a quite subdued Mustard:

(Every time I say "mustard", I think of Col Mustard, in the Library, with the candle stick.) Tammy must work with me, because some days I think I am surrounded by idiots. No, not really. I like where I work. Okay, the drivers are all idiots.

Finally, we have Maude. I love Maude. She is a snarky old girl! She is also sporting some Mustard, with orange and brown accents:

This is another sentiment that I had to tell my Tweeps "I have that stamp". Lookie:

My new mantra.

Then, because I could, I made four of these:

The most difficult part of this card was finding paper with red & black in it that wasn't so busy I lost the target image. When I finally blew the dust off of this one, I realized it was purple, not black, but it's so washed out, I think it works. The central image is one stamp, and I die-cut all the other circles to make it look like a target.

Then I called it a night. I think between this round of stamping and the last one, where I made multiples of all the Stamp Camp cards and used up the extra kits, I have enough new stuff for this weekend's market AND to stock my box of cards at Chloe's coffee shop. And I may even add a few to my Etsy store!

I also printed off 30 City Cards, but I have a feeling I'll be bagging and tagging all these other cards tomorrow night and I won't get all those City Cards stamped and colored until next week. Oh, well. At least I can tell people who ask (because they've been asking) that I will have some, they're just not finished.

So thanks for reading this far. Now that this place has cooled off from being without a/c all day, it's time to put these old bones to bed.

Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. great cards! love the fat people are harder to kidnap one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I have all that patterned paper in my stash (even the matching vellum paper). I know, the next time I'm waiting out a power outage (or more likely a sandstorm), I'll work on depleting MY scrap stash. LOVE your irreverent sayings. They are a hoot! Wish I could find those in my local stores.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow..these all made me larf out loud!! Very witty and great cards!! xx

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)