Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Mmmmm ... Baklava ...

[If you are here for this week's SOS challenge post, please scroll down, or click here.]

Okay, that title is the result of a steam of consciousness, and in my world, that's gonna be weird. For the current Jingle Belles challenge to up-cycle or recycle something (see, another Earth Day challenge!), I knew what I wanted to do, but I just needed to get off my butt and DO it.

Since moving to Ohio, I've been introduced to The Spicy Olive, a specialty store that sells infused oils and vinegars. They have really nice packaging, which includes two colors of tissue paper: burgundy/plum (it's tough to tell) and olive. I knew the burgundy/plum would go with my Basic Grey Eskimo Kisses papers, so I got to work on my plan.

I cut eight pieces of the tissue paper about 5x7, applied multi-medium to a scrap of card stock, and began layering the tissue, adding more multi-medium between each layer. It was during this process I decided it was much like putting butter between sheets of phyllo dough to make a crust, or even Baklava. Mmmm, Baklava.


See how that works?

About an hour later, I looked to see if the glue was dry, and it was, mostly, but I am impatient, so I die-cut it anyway. Here's my card:


AGAIN with the disappearing sentiment. I tried two things: (1) die-cut a piece of the tissue paper to act as a shadow under the blue die-cut, and (2) traced around the edge of the blue with a white gelly glaze pen. Sigh.

But I was quite happy with the reindeer:


The tissue paper got all wrinkly, and I think it looks like leather, which is deer skin in real life.  I was going to add a black eyeball, but ... where to put it? So I didn't.

I like the reindeer, but not much else about this card. I did use a never-used die, and I disappeared some of that paper, so there's that.

In other news, it's a glorious Spring day here, so I think I'll go finish cutting the grass! :)

Thanks for stopping by!

Products used (Inlinkz is not happy with the SSS site make-over, so no links today.): Basic Grey Eskimo Kisses 6x6 pad, Lil' Inker JOY die, Tim Holtz Reindeer Flight die, misc tissue paper, multi-medium, SU 2-way glue pen, white Gelly glaze pen, Craft pick, Neenah Solar White card stock, ATG, Fiskars paper trimmer, Teflon bone folder, MS mini score board.

5 comments:

  1. I'd be very happy with the whole card and not just the reindeer! VERY pretty, creative, and perfect for Christmas!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, Baklava... And I too love your reindeer and the great idea to layer the tissue paper- gonna try it. The whole card is very festive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm baklava. I like your card. Your deer matches the background so well. and I think you did well with the sentiment. It does sort of disappear but the focal point should be that fabulous wrinkly deer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmmmmmmmmm... baklava!!! now, in reindeer!!!! :) :) :) that is a BRILLIANT technique and the perfect use of the die AND the pretty tissue paper! well done, missus, you've so totally rocked it! (have i mentioned a zillion times how much more FUN the JB years are when you are playin' too?!) ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Olive oil ... baklava ... now I'm starving ... love the cool wrinkly effect of the layered tissue fun ... so very glad you celebrated Earth Day with us at Jingle Belles.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)