In my world, I'm constantly re-discovering things I own. The other day I picked up a cutting mat and found an old Faux Postage template stuck to the back of it. I'll bet it's been there for over 10 years. It looks like this:
It's quite old and the blocks I cut were unnaturally narrow for postage stamps*, so I worked with it and eventually made this:
When I say "worked with it", I mean this was like my 4th attempt. Yes, I might be pig-headed enough to stick with it that long.
Here's my process: First, I laid the template over the white panel and taped it down so it wouldn't move. Then I stamped the image into each opening using Archival Black. I put a piece of scratch paper under each opening so I only stamped inside the opening. Then, with the template still in place, I added some Distress ink using my blending tool. Once I was done, I lifted off the template and had this:
|Yes, I put the template back on the cutting mat. :)|
The card just looked nekkid, and I still thought the stamps were too skinny*. So, I cut out some rectangles from masking paper so the rectangles were just a bit larger all around than the colored images, then I used my new Mini Blending Tool to add some blue around the block of images:
Ready for the reveal? :)
MUCH better, don't you think? Here's the finished card again:
I really like how it turned out.
But wait, I wasn't done, as I had another idea. I thought it would be cool to try emboss resist with a large image stamped over all the windows, but the acetate was too thick and I couldn't get a good impression. Plan B: Make a template out of masking paper. About an hour later (maybe I exaggerate, or not), I had this:
LOTS of measuring. Yeah, I'm sure there is a template out in blogland for faux postage**, but they are usually for personal use only, and since I sell my cards I can't use them, so I had to make my own***.
Here's the card I made using the template, then I'll explain:
I put the template on a white panel, stamped the image in Versamark over the top two rows, then again on the bottom row. I embossed with white embossing powder, then used a blending tool to add color. THEN I removed the mask. Unfortunately the mask was destroyed in the process of removal. :(
I wrote in the postage amount on each panel with a multiliner. I chose poorly with the image and had to put the amount in the middle of the middle images. I intensely disliked it, so I covered up the bottom one with a sentiment. I love stamping.
Final verdict? I think I like the first one better, and I did save the rectangle masks in case I ever decide to do this technique again.
So, I think you should play along! Why not dig into the recesses of your noggin and come up with a faux technique, execute it, then link us up at SOS, baby!
Thanks for stopping by!
* I realize now I used to use the Splitcoast printed template, and this acetate mask was made according to the instructions in the tutorial to fit inside the printed images. I told you it had been a long time ...
** Yep, there's a template in the Splitcoast Faux Postage tutorial
*** Each opening on my home-made mask is 1" wide and 1 1/2" long, with 1/8" between them.
Products used: Homemade acetate template, misc washi tape, Martha Stewart Confetti Hearts (or Heart Confetti) punch, Tombow adhesive, A Muse Marigold stamp, cutting mat, and the following: