Wednesday, February 11, 2015

CSSC #1: Mid-Challenge Post

Hello, and thanks for the tremendous outpouring of support so far for my first challenge! I thought I'd do a mid-challenge post, just to keep the creative juices flowing.

Here's my card, then I'll explain:


Many moons ago, during a crafty play date, I used some of this pretty cork paper, and I had a few pieces left over, languishing in my Heaplet. I thought I'd maybe use them.

Please note: Cork is not very friendly, at least not in my hands. It likes to chip and tear when manipulated. This is maybe my third attempt at cutting the center rectangle and putting the resulting frame onto a piece of card stock. Even though the cork has a peel-off backing, I managed to tear a few of them.

I stuck this piece onto some Kraft card stock, and punched a rectangle from a remnant of the same card stock (that whole matchy-matchy thing). I stamped the Happy sentiment multiple times on the rectangle with Simon Says Stamp Khaki ink, then stuck it into the opening.

I had a few earlier attempts at stamping Happy Birthday on the Kraft panel using a darker brown ink, thinking the lighter ink would be light enough to just look like a background, but I wasn't feeling the love. I finally ended up stamping the darker ink onto white banners and clear embossing them.

Here you can see the sketch in my card:


Even though I added the banners, you can still see the sketch.

There are 10 more days left to play (11 if you count today), so if you haven't already linked up at the original post, please consider playing. And if you have linked up, why not give it another try? :)

Thanks, again, for all the encouragement and support! Have fun, and thanks for stopping by!

Stuff I used: cork paper (maybe DCWV?) from my stash, vat of clear embossing powder, and the following:




4 comments:

  1. Such a great sketch, I will give it another try. Love your cork background. It does sound like a right pain in the patootie to work with though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I think I will play one more time! I do love this sketch! Your card is very pretty - sorry to hear you had so much trouble with the cork. I have some cork but haven't used it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a sketch of your sketch on a little post it note and put it on my desk hoping to inspire me. I just haven't felt like crafting lately. I've done the must have things--finished and mailed the VD cards, done a birthday card, made a Merry Monday card (I guess that isn't too must have-y). I like the look of the cork on your card and this is a fabulous take on the challenge. I do know what a pill cork can be though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cork is not me-friendly either. This was worth the struggle! it looks fantastic. And yes, I made another card :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)