Tuesday, August 11, 2015

SOS #214: Make A Spectacle of Yourself

Happy Tuesday! It's time for a new challenge at Shopping Our Stash. This week's theme is Make A Spectacle of Yourself, and we'd like you to use papers/stamps/dies that have eye wear on them. If you don't have any, the alternative challenge is to use the Spotlight Technique (can be found here on Splitcoast).

Because I totally stink at the Spotlighting technique, I thought I'd try that first. This is what happened:


I'm pretty sure you're supposed to use something floral, but I'm ornery and contrary, so I chose a Paper Smooches set that I almost never use, and ... I used it. I stamped the mushroom row in black, and added the clouds with Simon Says Stamp Fog ink. I stamped the mushroom again on a remnant of white, and added the bird, then cut them out with a circle die. I also cut a slightly larger circle from a remnant of black patterned paper that was lying next to my paper trimmer.

I colored the bird with bright colors (he's the spotlight, after all), added a strip of washi tape to ground the 'shrooms, added a sentiment, and some obligatory birds in the sky.

Then I made a second card, this time with spectacles:


All I knew when I started this card was I wanted to use the big glasses and that sentiment. Then I spied the spectacle-themed papers in my MME Flair 6x6 pad, and the play began. I fussed with bits of remnants until I decided the black stripes made an awesome contrast to the background.

The glasses were originally green, but when I tried to "fix" one of the corners, I drew all over the green paper, so I had to cut another one, and I was out of green. Sigh.

Here is what I was trying to "fix":


You're looking at a pixelated shot of the pink light red paper. I added black lenses and put the little black bits into the corners, but I missed. I tried coloring the corner (three layers down) with a black marker, and I failed. So now the glasses are no longer green. But I did very carefully take some Copper Liquid Pearls and a toothpick, and applied the Liquid Pearls into the tiny crevices in the corners of the glasses. I also covered the lenses with Glossy Accents.

So that's it -- my spectacle project. In hindsight, I should have used the square glasses die-cut instead of this one, but oh well.

I hope you'll play along and make a spectacle of yourself over at SOS this week!

Thanks for stopping by!

Stuff I used: SU black card stock, SU 2-way glue pen, washi tape, and the following:



11 comments:

  1. Both cards fit the challenge perfectly. Love them both. Enjoy the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your spotlighted birdie on your first card. He looks very cute sitting on the shroom. Then I thought you were invaded by the body snatchers because you used pink, I mean, light red, on that second card....predominantly. (Which, BTW, looks awesome)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummmmmmmmmmmmm I really adore your spotlight card, I think you got it bang on!
    And of course I love the spec card and I am with Chris...the PINK specs...totally rock! Light red be dammmmmed!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first card is hilarious and I love how the little bird is "up"! It's too cute and a great play on words. Those are some fun eye glasses you made, and I love the matching dsp! One might say you've made a spectacle of your card!...........groan ..........ok, I'm leaving now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did two outstanding cards representing both the spotlight and the spectacles, Leslie! And, as always, you wrote a fun accompanying post!! Enjoy your day! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  6. well you know you had me at (AHEM!) light red glasses... but full marks for proceeding even when you wanted green, lol! this is indeed spectacular! as is the spotlight one, imo, i think you got it totally right! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great - I love that little bird.

    ReplyDelete
  8. both cards are fabulous, love your "light red" glasses lol, giggled when I read that....that would be PINK.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never tried the spotlight technique. You did it! Light red glasses rock.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun spectacle card! I don't care much for the spotlight technique. It always seems like you are dialing it in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. At least you've tried the spotlighting technique... ;) Both cards are great. And poor you, stuck with having to use light red glasses. :D

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)