Sunday, September 27, 2015

A Holiday Card

The ladies at Jingle Belles have asked us to make a Holiday or Winter card -- something for someone who doesn't celebrate Christmas. One of my friends celebrates the Equinox. That's a tough one to do, but I do have Hanukkah* stamps, so I made this:


I made many of these until I ended up with this version. Let's just say I confirmed I am not a colorer. This version was the least painful.

The menorah was colored with Copics, as were the candles. The flames were stamped in Delicata Gold and clear-embossed. After I'd put the white panel on the grey card base, I said out loud, "just leave it alone", but noooooo, I needed to put something in all that white space. NEEDED to. I added a few Martha Stewart holographic stars.They are very shiny:


I think it's safe to say this will NOT be my Hanukkah card this year. I'll need to design something less fussy. I have until early December to figure it out.

Thanks for stopping by!

PS: My card won a shout-out at Jingle Belles! Whoot!

* Several people have asked me why Hanukkah/Chanukkah is spelled so many different ways. It's because the name is transliterated from the Hebrew word for Hanukkah. Transliterated means something is spelled the way it sounds in its native language. Because the first letter in Hebrew is the CH guttural sound, some people spell it Ch and some just spell it H. It keeps things interesting, and probably aggravates stamp-makers. This Paper Smooches set has both spellings. It also confounds Spell-check.

Stuff I used: Vat of clear embossing powder, Copics (0, C0, C3, C5, B01, BG02, BG07), SU Basic Gray card stock, A Muse gingham card stock, and the following:



6 comments:

  1. Love the sparkle of the golden frames and how the patterned paper grounds the design ... so very glad you joined us at Jingle Belles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you say "least painful" i say "most awesome"... poTAYto, poTAHto! (or chanukah, hanukkah if you will) :) :) :) i ♥LOVE♥ this... i love the coloring, the embossed flames (dang, i should've done that!) the way you've grounded the menorah (i should've done that TOO!!!) and especccccccially the fab holographic stars. yowza! thanks for rockin' the festival of lights with us at JINGLE BELLES! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. As soon as I saw this card, I yelled in my head: HOLY S*%$! SHE COLORED! And what a fabulous coloring job you did too! I'm so impressed. Great card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did a fine job coloring, and I love the card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your card, including the coloring. But I'm just wondering, your friend celebrates the Equinox? That was last week - maybe she celebrates the Solstice in December? Or, maybe both - I would celebrate both, plus Hanukkah and Christmas :) PS - is there a reason for 2 K's?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You most definitely underrate your colouring skills. I will agree that colouring may not be the way to go for multiple cards, though. ;) Really like this!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)