Thursday, November 22, 2007

A Little Rework

One of my scheduled tasks for this long weekend was to rework some of the ornaments I made last year. The reason for the rework is because even though people who came into my booth at my craft shows said the ornaments were beautiful, no one bought them. (Well, okay, I sold 4 out of 24...not a rush in my world.)

In an earlier post, I referred to a conversation I had with a customer at my November Craft Bazaar who suggested they were pretty from the top, but not from the side, and hanging on a tree, people would look at them from the side. I had never thought about that, not having a tree myself, so ... the rework.

This is a very bad, fuzzy shot from the side of one of the original ornaments. It has a layered topper of three Outlines stamps, a moss-colored gold-edged ribbon on the outside, and some glitter snow for something on the inside.

This is the top of the original ornament. Each image was stamped on vellum or specialty paper, gold-embossed, then cut out. I cut out a hole in the center of each to fit over the top of the ornament. I made 24 of them (that's 72 stamped, embossed, cut images... do I sound bitter?), and I thought they came out great. Until they did not sell. ;-(

So ANYway, I decided to take off the topper and put an acetate snowman inside, taking full advantage of the existing snow to cover the bottom of the image.

This is another fuzzy shot showing the snowman version of the ornament. I stamped him on acetate (really overlays from an office supply store) with Staz-On, then colored them on the backs with Sharpies. I applied 2-way glue to the body and put glitter on him.

Once he was rolled up and stuck into the ornament, he sat nicely in the snow. I added the red ribbon and he was done!

I reworked about 10 or 11 of these guys. I did leave 6 or so of the original ornaments in my collection - who knows, maybe someone will buy them next week!

Oh, and this counts as a Stash Dive creation since I had to blow the dust off the snowman image (by All Night Media) to use him. ;-)

So what did I do with all those toppers? Never fear - they became cards! Last year I actually had one set of images left after I'd made the ornaments, so I made one card with them. I just used a photo of it (I photograph everything I make ...) as a guide for making these today.

Note: If you are going to use Versamark for both embossing and stamping a background, you should stamp and emboss the one image first, THEN stamp the images for a background. I messed up the first card and had gold EP stuck to everything. It was a mess.

Recipe: Stamps - Outlines, Peaceful Wishes (SU); Card Stock - Mellow Moss, Shimmer Gold, green paper, red vellum, white vellum; Ink - Versamark; Other - gold EP, misc button, 3/4 inch circle punch, gold cord (retired), dimensionals.

That's all for now. Tomorrow is another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)