Thursday, September 27, 2012
Day 7 Homework for Kick Start
The challenge was to select a partner in crime, then select some stamps that both of you own. Then we were to go off on our own and make a card using the same stamps. The idea is that people have different styles, and when working with a specific item (or items), will come up with different ways to use them.
My partner is crime is Melissa Shea of Love My Scraps, and we chose these two Hero Arts stamps:
The Lattice background:
Friendly Flags stamp set:
I colored the triangles with Hero Arts Neon inks, then layered the pairs and stuck them to the card front. The pearls between the flags are Doodlebug, and the ones on the sentiment panel were colored with Copics. I really wanted to use the neon Copics, hoping to match the ink, but they dried dull, so these were done with regular Copics.
Then I decided this card was too obvious, as in: using these stamps in an obvious way. So even though it is a perfectly good card, I challenged myself to make a second card, just to see if I could, and this is what came out:
Lisa Spangler so use a piece of scrap paper to make a hill. I cut the hill, then used the negative (top) piece to mask the card, then applied Distress Mowed Lawn ink to it with a blending tool. I moved the mask to the left to make the second hill. I didn't make them different colors on purpose, but I like how that turned out. :)
Now, about those trees. I wanted to make them Fall colors, and I inked up a few in several ink colors, then planned to go over them lightly with the Mowed Lawn ink. Let's just say that they are green now, and they were relegated to the back row. I started again with more trees and only inked their edges with Mowed Lawn. They got pop dots. I drew the tree trunks with my Brushed Corduroy Distress marker, and wiped my mostly-browns (or maybe it was my mostly-yellows) blending pad along the edge of the panel for some definition.
I originally had the sentiment on a white strip of card stock, but it was too in-your-face, so I embossed it with some white EP onto Vellum. I cleverly (almost) disguised the glue dots with pearls. I need to get some larger pearls.
So those are the cards I made with these two stamp sets. Now please pop over to Melissa's blog post to see what she created!
Thanks for stopping by!