Wednesday, September 12, 2012

So Trendy

While blurfing earlier today, I stumbled upon the mother lode of challenges. Yes, the current Simon Says Stamp Challenge is to use the following:

Yep: Neon, Hexagons and Chevrons. They said to use at least one of them, but being the over-achiever that I can be at times, I decided to use all three of them on the same card. The brain churned most of the day, and no, I didn't look at anyone else's.

As I started the actual attempt to get my ideas onto paper, I may or may not have muttered "it seemed like a good idea at the time", and more than once. I made two different cards, and actually executed my original idea, at least in part.

Here's one of them:

My original idea was to stamp chevrons in neon ink, then cut that into hexagons. It sorta worked. Here I used the chevron herringbone from the Clear & Simple Background Basics 1 set, and I stamped it in Hero Arts neon inks. I then cut those out with the MFT Hexagon dies. Did you know one of the dies cuts and one just embosses? It's true. Ask me how I know.

The hexagons looked lonely here, so I took a piece of left-over neon orange card stock I'd colored for another project and die-cut some hearts for the centers. Then the sentiment looked lonely, so I used the rest of the die-cut piece behind it. I originally had a piece of neon orange washi tape there, but it fought with the chevrons, so hearts it was.

For my next trick, I made this:

I inked the Hero Arts Chevron background stamp with three neon colors -- first yellow, then green, then blue. I also found some yellow herringbone designs on my blue ink pad, so be very, very careful or you'll cross-contaminate your ink pads. Ask me how I know, again.

I went wild and added a strip of neon pink washi to the card where the hexagons would go. This time when I cut the hexagons, I actually used the hexagon die that cuts. They stayed in place (didn't fall out) which was wonderful, since all I had to do was apply glue to the backs, line the scrap up on the hot pink washi, then press them into place, perfectly spaced.

The sentiment is from the Dylusions Say What You Mean set, stamped in neon blue. Even the pearls were colored with a neon Copic that I picked up during the same shopping spree where I bought the Dylusions stamps. It was a spendy weekend.

So I guess I've broken out of my "kids cards" mode, huh? :) 

Well, both of these are very bright, so maybe I'll work on something less likely to keep me up tonight. :) I've printed off even more challenges I won't get to, so I'd best get started.

Thanks for stopping by!

Recipe
Stamps: Hero Arts Heyday Sentiments, Clear & Simple Background Basics 1, Hero Arts Chevron background, Dylusions Say What You Mean
Ink: Hero Arts Neon Yellow, Neon Green and Neon Blue
Paper: PTI white 
Other: Pink neon washi tape, Taylored Expressions Heart border die, MFT Hexagons dies, Copic FYG1

7 comments:

  1. That is pretty much part of my youth on your blog today. I loved the 80's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colors. And that saying would go great with the SU Recess set too. Just another challenge. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You done good, even with a little splash of (gah!) pink! I am resisting the neon inks, at least for now. I am trying to downsize a little.

    PS - got your card, it's gorgeous! Will post something soon with the paper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You so trendy! Sometimes when you write, I want to know how you got in my head, because I didn't notice anyone was there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are both such fun cards! I love the hexagons and the bright, fun colors! Thanks so much for playing along with us over at the Simon Says Stamp Challenge Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these!! The bright colors are amazing and I love the skip and be happy sentiment too - made me smile :)

    Thanks for sharing your creativity at the Simon Says Stamp Challenge!!!
    -Sarah

    For More Opportunities:
    *Follow Simon Says Stamp on Twitter
    *Like Simon Says Stamp on Facebook
    *Subscribe to Simon Says Stamp on YouTube
    *Follow Simon Says Stamp on Pinterest
    *Sign up for our Newsletter

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun are these cards, love how you incorporated all the trends to one card..thanks for joining us at Simon Says Challenge blog

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)