Sunday, June 9, 2013

Loopy Birthday, Version 2

I am obviously a glutton for punishment, because I went back in for more of those loopy rings that I whined about on my last card. I had actually started playing with something else when I got an idea and went for that die again.

Here's what I made, then I'll explain:



It all started with an idea I had to make a plaid using my still-out Impression Obsession Random Lines stamp. I stamped a few 1/4 sheets of white with neon blue and green and I loved it! I was playing with a different die when I thought how cool it would be to have black circles on top of these bright colors, so I started futzing.

I die-cut the Loopy Rings out of a piece of black packaging I kept, maybe because it was shiny. I thought that would be cool for the black rings since it was already shiny and I didn't need to deal with making it so. I ran that through my Xyron 2.5, and the roll I have in there (probably about 5 years old) has only one protected side, so I couldn't burnish the thing to remove the excess adhesive. Sigh. I tried to rub off most of it, then I stuck it to the plaid and used my adhesive remover to get most of the rest of it off. I also managed to remove some of the shiny black, but that's what black Sharpies are for.

I used a Martha Stewart glue pen on the individual circles, layered the whole panel onto black card stock, and put it on a white card. The sentiment banner is strategically placed to cover the messiest of the stubborn adhesive.

At the last moment I decided it needed a little something-something, so I broke open my Impression Obsession sunglasses dies (I told you that OWH Blog Hop was expensive!), cut one from the same black packaging, and covered it with Glossy Accents.

I think this passes as masculine more than that last one, so I'm going to enter it into the Catered Crop For The Boys challenge.

By the way, I tried to cover the back of the packaging with Sookwang tape and die-cut the Loopy Rings so it would come out pre-adhesived, but that didn't work. I'll keep thinking of other options, because I think this die is fun!

Thanks for stopping by!

Products used but not linked below: SU Basic Black card stock, Xyron 2.5, black sharpie, MS glue pen, packaging from ... something. And no, I don't know why the EH links below don't have images in them; the links still work, though.



3 comments:

  1. Ooohh, love the loops. I have not seen that die yet. Fun card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the card, the blue and green neon inks are perfect together and the black rings really pop. I have a couple of Xyrons and rarely use them just because of the boogers issue. I guess there's no easy way with that die, huh? Even spray adhesive leave stickiness on the wrong side of things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made that plaid yourself?!! WOW! I thought that it was patterned paper at first glance! I love the contrast of the straight lines in neon against the glossy black circles - definitely worth all the adhesive issues effort! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)