Saturday, June 8, 2013

Father's Day

I finally finished what will be my Father's Day card for my Dad. This turned into one of those projects that takes on a life of itself, where nothing works like you expect it to, where you hmph a lot and leave the room, then come back later and try again, repeat. It was a long afternoon.

Here's the card, then I'll explain:

It all started innocently enough when I used some ink daubers on one of my new Impression Obsession background stamps. I stamped it onto a piece of SU watercolor paper, which is rectangle in shape. The top edge was wrinkled, so I opted to cut it out, and decided to go square instead of rectangle so I could open and use my new Lil' Inker stitched square dies.

I placed it onto a base made from some dark grey HA layering papers and hmphed. A lot. About the third time I looked at it I decided to open and use one of my Avery Elle sets, so I stamped the geometric shape repeatedly onto the grey card base. I liked it, kinda.

I had on purpose left some space at the fold of the card before I stamped the background, and in the end that was a bad decision. Hmph #12. I added some washi tape to make it look like a book binding. I still intensely disliked it.

Then I whacked off about an inch from the top of the card to make it more square, and I started to feel the love. I rounded the corners because of all those straight lines. I also decided I needed a circle shape on top of the stripes, so I stamped the circle from the Avery Elle set with no idea what I'd use for a sentiment.

It was still meh, so I hmphed some more, then decided it needed more round, so I added some pearls I colored with Copics. I think I got the colors pretty close, even.

THEN I went in search of a sentiment for Father's Day that would fit in that tiny space. Given that I don't have a lot of holiday-specific sentiments, I figured it would take me about an hour. But I found an old PTI sentiment set that had that Father's Day sentiment in it and the angels sang. Actually, they sang after I added the red heart.

Note: I rubbed some dauber on a scrap of white so the heart would match the red stripe, but I ... let me just say you should not try to die-cut damp card stock. What a mess. I know, I know, I could have dried it, but ugh. I just colored it with a Copic instead.

I guess you could say this card was a labor of love, and I think my Dad is worth it. :)

Thanks for stopping by!

Products used but not linked below: PTI Daily Designs set, SU water color paper, misc washi tape, dimensional adhesive.


  1. All is well, that ends well and this card definitely ended well! I enjoyed reading your creative process, as usual. I am still chuckling as I write this comment.

  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

  3. Your creative time sounds a lot like mine today Leslie but if in the end you can turn out something you like I say it's all good. I like the in-line pearls in this this a lot and especially like how you varied the positions in the different colors. Nice work!

  4. The evolution of a card - stamping is HARD! It was all worth it in the end, it turned out perfect.


I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)