Tuesday, August 20, 2013

SOS #115 - Oldest Hardware

It's Tuesday, and time for a new challenge over at Shopping Our Stash. This week we ask you to pull out your oldest hardware, and by that we mean things like ribbon slides, brads, eyelets, metal frames, etc.

I went digging into the back of my "Miscellaneous" drawer and found several packages of SU metal framed vellum square tags. I also found a box of old, old, old brads, and decided they needed to be used, too.

I followed a now VERY old sketch from my pile of neglected challenges and I made this:


I still have these metal-edged tags because I never figured out how to use them well. For this card I decided to use four of the smaller tags to create a background, so I glued them to a piece of patterned paper. I stuck the doily on with a brad through the center where the four corners of the metal tags meet and covered it up with the sentiment banner.

About those eyelet brads... do you remember those?  I tried to get an in-focus shot of them:


heh I tried to hold one up and that's the one least in focus. ;/  Whoever thought punching two holes into a piece of paper to use a brad like this was easier than punching one hole and setting an eyelet was probably smoking something. Although, this was long before the Crop-a-dile, so two holes vs a hammer might have been the draw. No matter, I never embraced them, and six poked holes later I remembered why.

Now it's your turn! Got neglected, dusty hardware in your stash? Go dig it out and use it, then come back to Shopping Our Stash and link us up so we can see what you've made!

Thanks for stopping by!

Products used: SU vellum metal-edged tags, misc brads, Basic Grey Fact 12x12 paper, and the following:



9 comments:

  1. i'm still soooooooooooooo totally swoonin' over that amazingly fab tag usage! i predict mini-bidding wars over on ebay for stashes of ancient tags!!!!!!! YOWZA!!!!!!!! ♥♥♥♥♥

    (ps if you need me, i'll be over on ebay, startin' a mini-bidding war!) :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an excellent use of those tags, your card is gorgeous! I think I may have had some of those tags, too, but they met with an untimely death at some point. I probably still have some of those eyelet brad things, too....somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Leslie,
    Love your project! Very creative and thoughtfully composed and executed. Nice work!
    Hugz,
    Chana, DT
    Shopping Our Stash

    ReplyDelete
  4. metal things are a crafty item i just never purchased because i couldn't ever figure out how to use them
    i dont like special tools and hammers :(
    -Rachel w k
    rwkrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This card is great! I love how you used 4 of the vellum tags and those black brads are super cute! I have never seen that kind and they do sound like a bit of a pain in your backside, but they look great!!
    Blessings,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. very cool! I could never figure our what those little tags were meant for, but you put them in such a great use I might go scouring ebay for them :) Great colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a goodly supply of those metal edged tags and you just showed me a clever way to get rid of 4 at one time! Great card and keep the ideas coming!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm still giggling at Lauren's comment...and shaking my head over those eyelet brads. They were definitely smoking something. Sheesh. That is an absolutely brilliant way to use those tags - I think I have one left somewhere. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)