Saturday, March 29, 2014

Free Range Birthday Cards

I started out today just playing. I had a pack of paper out that has very pretty, feminine patterns, and I thought I'd make a few simple cards with it. Two hours later ... yes, it's been a rough day. BUT, I made a lot of pretty cards, and not so much pretty trash, so I thought I'd share. :)

Here's the first card, then I'll explain:

Photos are worse than usual as it's dark and dreary outside.
I've been left to my own devices, alone, with a camera.
Actually, I started with this one, messed up, set it aside, made the next two, then came back to save this one. I totally messed up the green diagonal strip and had to trim that layer within an inch of its life. I was determined to save it! It was so narrow I needed a layer, but I didn't have enough of the green left for a whole layer. What to do, what to do. I then added the two papers at the top and bottom, but it looked really dumb, so I added two more scraps remnants between them. Does it look like I meant to do that? I sure hope so.

The heart is there partly for balance, but more to cover the mystery schmear I found there. The sentiment is from a Paper Smooches set (linked below).

Here's one of the two cards I made while grumbling about that first one:

I cut the paper on the diagonal in the wrong direction. Wait, no, there are no mistakes in stamping, only opportunities for embellishment!  Gosh, I love this hobby!  I cut a strip of the red from the same paper pack, then stared at it for a while.

I don't like to be told what to do, and this card said "Stamp on the diagonal". Trust me, I tried not to, but it seemed to be the right thing to do.  I originally had a fat flower garnish on the left side of the diagonal, but opted to use the pearls instead.

Here's the other card from the other half of the paper:

Both of these use sentiments from the same Paper Smooches set.  They aren't the traditional PS funky fonts, but I like them all the same. An excellent set to have in one's collection.

The red strips down the sides of the card look the way they do since I forgot the paper was 5 1/2" instead of my usual 5 1/4", and I'd rounded the corners, and I was stuck. I think it came out okay, though.

That's my saga about these three cards. I also made some challenge cards that I'll post later.

In other news, it's raining, big time. It's even teased us by turning to snow a few times today, but I know it's been too warm lately for any of it to stick seriously. (Oh, did I say that out loud?)  This is what my yard looks like after a good rain:

Yeah, not a good spot for a garden. Maybe some pussy willows or something else that loves water. I'm sure the neighbors would appreciate that, too. What a soggy mess!

Thanks for stopping by!

Products used: Basic Grey True Love 6x6, Tombow adhesive, and the following:


  1. The green strips on the first one totally look like you meant to do that. I really enjoy your salvage stories - I get ticked and just toss it instead of trying to rescue it. The others are wonderful, too. I like the diagonal stamping - AND they're straight! In a diagonal sort of way, of course :-)

  2. I great saves! I had the same weather you did today. Started with a nice soft rain, by afternoon sticking but really its the end of March...snow?

  3. I noticed the "cuts" in the backing paper on the first card and immediately chalked it up to you having a clever idea, not you cleverly fixing a boo boo. I really like it for a hint of added interest. Be sure to do it again sometime so we'll think its a trend.

    I love the "quick and easy" (yeah I know) cards on a diagonal. I have a hard time accepting the slant when it is like your first card but you make it work so well. If I were to do it there would be twitches all around.


I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)