Tuesday, March 25, 2014

SOS #144: Oldest Tree Stamp

It's Tuesday, and time for a new challenge over at Shopping Our Stash. This week we ask you to use your oldest tree stamp. That's pretty straight-forward, non? :)

For those of us who've ever shopped with Stampin' Up!, that one's pretty easy: use the Lovely As A Tree stamp set. I think some Demos might have heart palpitations if this set ever retires.

So, of course I pulled out my LAAT set and used one of the stamps - the Oak Tree. I knew exactly which sentiment I'd use with it, too. Here she is:


The other day I mentioned I had used up all the remnants in a 6x6 paper pack and all that was left were a few sheets of wood-like patterned papers. It's only been a week, and I've used one! Ha!

Now about that tree... I stamped it on a scrap of white card stock and colored it with Copics. When I was done coloring I felt it had lost some of the detail, so I broke out my Stamp-A-Ma-Jig, lined up the image, and stamped over the colored tree to add back all the detail. I love how that turned out!

I also fell back to my old ways of layering everything, which is okay for this card, as the tree and sentiment would disappear into the wood background without the dark brown contrast of the layers. I guess I've still got all that "I must layer everything" history back in my internal archive, and I think it all works here.

In addition to the oldoldold stamp set (the label says 2001), I also used two eyelets on the sentiment panel. (I KNOW!) Talk about old-school.

So, I think you should play along with us this week. Go dig out a neglected tree stamp, use it, and come link us up. You know you want to ... :)

Thanks for stopping by!

Products used: SU Lovely As A Tree stamp set, sentiment from Impression Obsession, SU Early Espresso card stock, misc eyelets, misc white card stock, and the following:




10 comments:

  1. That is a lovely tree, and a lovely card, too. You did a wonderful job on the coloring and stamping it again after coloring is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that really IS the best set ever as *4* SOS dt members will attest, lol! and yet... you all make it look completely different and yet SO COOL! (i love the way you've colored this AND THEN stamped on top again to get the details back. totally BRAVE and it worked perfectly!!!!!!!!!!!! (yikes!) :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out great, I love the look of the tree with the stamping on top of the coloring, it brings it to life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow it's gorgeous. I have that set but it wasn't my oldest. What a beautiful way to feature that oak tree. The sentiment is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny how so many of us love that Lovely as a Tree set. There's nothing wrong with mine but I am still tempted to buy it in clear mount. Love how you've done the tree with copics and then stamped the detail over it again, what a FAB idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally want to join this challenge. I know I tell myself that often at SOS but this one sounds extra fun. I'm not sure what my oldest tree stamp is without looking in my tree drawer, but I know it is *not* the Lovely as a Tree set. That is actually one of my newer trees, having put off buying that forever.

    I absolutely love the tree stamp you chose and your finished card is FAB! That funky wood paper is the best for it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE the way that tree turned out after you colored it, then restamped it! Holy crow, it looks awesome! I think I may be the only person on the planet that does not own this stamp set, let alone ANY SU stamps! LOL! Fabulous card!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're right, Leslie, that's my favorite tree stamp set, too, and I love how you have showcased your grand dame oak tree against that cool pp. Good job overstamping and using defining layers, too! Have a great weekend! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE this card! that patterned paper is amazing! what an excellent way to use it!

    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  10. p.s. LOVE your blog name heehee

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)