Tuesday, March 18, 2014

SOS #143: Buttons & Bows

It's Tuesday again (how does that happen?!?!) and time for another challenge at Shopping Our Stash. This week's theme is Buttons & Bows, and we ask you to dig into your stash and pull out some forgotten and unloved buttons and ribbon/twine. We want to see buttons and bows!!!

Here's my card:


This background was created during my recent crafty weekend when I played with a stencil, some markers, and a marker spritzer. I have an old SU spritzer, but it's the same as the Tim Holtz spritzer I linked to (to which I linked) below. I first taped the stencil over a piece of white card stock, then used three different Distress markers and spritzed them each on about a third of the area. I love the reveal when you lift up the stencil.

Oh, and make sure to work out a little before you try this. I might have developed a hand cramp with all that spritzing. The good thing is it's very easy to direct the spritz where you want it, unlike most sprays. Just be careful to aim the opening where you want the ink to go; don't aim the marker.

To make this card, I took that spritzed panel, rounded the corners, and placed some buttons from my stash into three of the circles. I tied a piece of Hemptique white twine through each button before sticking them down with mini glue dots.

Tip: If you rub a little Matte Medium onto the end of the twine and let it dry, it's easier to thread the twine through the small holes in the buttons. I didn't make this up, but I tried it and it does work. The end becomes stiff, like the end of a shoe lace. None of that silly fraying and unwinding business.

For my last act, I chose a sentiment from the CAS-ual Fridays RAD set. The you are was cut previously from the you are so sentiment, and I paired it with the awesome word. It fit perfectly across the card front.

YOUR TURN! I think you should go into your stash and dig out some buttons and stuff and come back over to Shopping Our Stash and link us up. While you're there, make sure to check out what the other DT gals have created.

Thanks for stopping by!

Products used: miscellaneous buttons, SU mini glue dots, and the following:



8 comments:

  1. spritzy ink + buttons and bows are AWESOME!!! love the way you've used the stencil and of course the sentiment is perfection! (ps: is it just me who's had frank sinatra singing "buttons and bows" for the past week? ack!) :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are REALLY making me want to go and buy some stencils! Seriously, the cards you are making with them are all so amazing! This one is no exception! Love the blend of colors, the coordinating buttons, and the sentiment rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful spritzing, and thanks for the tip on the twine/string threading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome use of the stencils and the spritzer, and gorgeous card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love love love that spritzed background!! I must be some kind of moron, I can't get my distress markers to work with my SU spritzer...*sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the background. I am looking forward to the new spritzer. I had one a few years ago but it's gone now. That's a really pretty card. You done good again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a fun card. I always thought the spritzing thing would be fun but I tried it and it barely made any dots on my paper. There must be a trick to it... maybe that bit you said about working out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is awesome! That looks so cool! I love it!!
    Blessings,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)