Tuesday, May 19, 2015

SOS #202: Silver & Gold

It's Tuesday, and time for a new challenge at Shopping Our Stash. This week marks our four-year Blogiversary! Yep, four years of using our stash!

The poor ladies on the SOS DT have the challenge of living with my ear worms. While thinking of a (hopefully) catchy title for the challenge, my brain wandered back in time to Girl Scout camp, and started singing:

Make new friends,
But kee-ee-p the o-old,
One is silver and
The other's gold.



You're welcome.

So silver and gold it is, and here's my card:


This card is about 185% different than what had been running through my brain all week. I don't know if that happens to you, but once I started playing, the idea kept morphing into something completely different. So much for a week of planning, huh?

I started by taking out my embarrassingly-large stash of SU Brushed Gold and Brushed Silver card stock. I stamped a Hero Arts background in Versamark onto a piece of gold and embossed it with silver. I liked it, so I embossed a smaller piece of gold the same way, and die-cut the sentiment, thinking I'd line it up so it blended into the background. I wasn't feeling the love.

So I die-cut a piece of SU Poppy Parade to add a shadow between the die-cut and the background. Meh.

Then I thought I'd try just the sentiment by itself. The poppy color made me think about the Hero Arts Night & Day Flowers stamp set, so out came the MISTI, some watercolor paper, and my black Archival ink. I stamped the flowers a few times to get it dark enough (re-inking might also help me there), then water colored it with some Distress inks. Then I just added the sentiment and attached the water color paper to a white card base.

To finish things off, I added some clear Wink of Stella to the flowers and some Gold Liquid Pearls to the flower centers.

So, got some silver and gold stash you'd like to disappear? Now's your chance! Why not join us this week at SOS and play along?

Thanks for stopping by!

Stuff I used: SU Brushed Gold card stock, SU Silver embossing powder, SU Poppy Parade card stock, and the following:



13 comments:

  1. Lovely! I like the shiny sentiment, very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! The heat embossed silver on the brushed gold paper? That's just GENIUS! Love your card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the shadow look on the sentiment the flowers are lovely with the distress markers! BEAUTIFUL!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous...and yes....the earworm...thanks for THAT
    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Earworm? BAD. Card? Good. :) I really like that you took the less-travelled route, rather than making a wedding or Christmas card. Although... this would be a sweet card to give to a bride. This is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As Lindsey said grreat job on a non Christmas or Wedding card, my brain didn't go further than Christmas. love how you used the red as a shadow for the sentiment and poppies are my fav. and they are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that morphy thing ALWAYS happens, it used to kind of freak me out, but now i LOVE it b/c it's usually when the most interesting & creative things happen. as you've just totally proven right here. i ***LOVE*** this one! yowza!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely card, Leslie. This challenge has me thoroughly stumped, so it truly is a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like this card a lot. And I like how you 'fessed up how cards morph over the week and often they do. Those girls in your video look a little older than I remember the traditional girl scout! Kids these days mature so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful! I love the shadowing behind the sentiment...very creative and very nicely executed! You have such a creative mind!
    Hugz,
    Chana

    ReplyDelete
  11. And thank YOU for the ear worm in return, lol! Your card is gorjiepuss, Leslie, in color, and metallic sheen, and all winked up! Whatever it was supposed to be before the morph doesn't matter when it turns out as well as this one did!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  12. I happen to get a kick out of the earworms! lol The sentiment is just awesome - why have I never thought to die cut the sentiment out of something *I* did?

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are not flower impaired...clearly. Love this.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)