Time to reveal the results of my latest "Spot the Mistake" contest! First, let me say I do these because bad spelling makes me nuts, and it bothers me when I see it on other blogs and Web sites. Now don't go and get your panties in a wad that I'll be reading your blogs and doing nothing but spotting typos. WHO HAS THE TIME!? But I like to know when *I* have mistakes, and I thought it would be fun (FUN) to challenge others to use me as a rough language lesson once in a while. I mean, c'mon, if I can make fun of my own mistakes and let you win something in the process, that's a good thing, right? So when I have the urge to do this again, just take it as it was intended - a little diversion. K? K!
Moving on...The responses have been tallied, and here are the suggested errors in Monday's post:
1. recepticle and verticle - Yep, misspelled them both! They should have been receptical and vertical. My bad. I actually only saw the vertical mistake...that other one was a surprise, but not too much of one, if you know what I mean.
2. O'Dark Thirty - Nope, you were right that this is not a boo-boo. This is a common computer-biz term for "having to come in to work waaaaaaay before the sun even thinks about rising." Most companies do maintenance to their computer systems in the off hours to minimize the impact to the business, and for any business that is open 24/7, that translates into the wee hours of the morning, generally a Sunday morning. Could be 12:01 am. Could be 2:00 am. In my case it is usually 4:30 am. Like you care... But please feel free to use the term whenever you want - it is not mine.
3. no apostrophes in 60s or 70s. Maybe, maybe not. This is one I have always pondered. You know how you address a letter to The Smith's, and that has an apostrophe to make it plural? That is probably where I got it from (from whence I got it.) (And my maiden name was Smith, so I can use it in the example.)
4. "through cleaning" should be "thorough". Yep, got me again.
5. ...remembering to bring back my coffee mug WAS a big deal (to me, anyway), so Nope on that one. Nice try though. ;-)
6. DOH/DUH/Duuuh. Whatever. It's my blog. ;-)
So who wins? EVERYONE wins this time! Give me a reason to send you something out of my stash! I'll bet you had no idea this was just a clever ploy on my part to get rid of stuff from that other room, did you?! Don't worry - I have ribbon, I have clear stamps, I have STUFF, and I'd rather it be in your home instead of mine.
So for all those who commented for the contest, please send me your snail mail address (email@example.com) and I'll go dig up some goodies.
Next up - I'm ponderin' an Inspiration Challenge. Stay tuned!