Tuesday, December 17, 2013

SOS #131 - One Main Color

Hello, and happy Tuesday! It's time for a new challenge at Shopping Our Stash. This week we ask you to use one main color on your project. You could do ombre (gradient color) or just mix up a bunch of scraps or patterned papers. Neutrals are also allowed, but your color of choice should be your main color.

Note: This is a TWO-WEEK challenge!!! You will have until Monday, Dec. 30th, to link up.

I, like several of my DT peeps, ended up using blue as the main color. Here's my card, then I'll explain:


I made the background using this Stenciling with Gelatos technique I saw on Donna Downey's blog. I'm not a big mixed media gal, but this one I thought I could do. The jury is still out, unless, of course, I meant to do that.

Step 1: Cover your card stock with Gesso, then let it dry.
Step 2: Scribble some Gelatos over the background, then spritz with water and spread around (I blended) with your finger. Let dry.
Step 3: Place a stencil over the background and use a baby wipe to "erase" the paint from the openings in the stencil.

That's it. The "I meant to do that" part is the uneven removal of paint, and also the rough lines of the Gesso showing through. I declared it to be "linen" and embraced it.

I thought it needed some darker blue for contrast, so I smooshed some Memento Luxe blue ink onto a piece of white card stock, let it dry, then die-cut some tiny birds from it. I drew a line with a black Multiliner and glued the birds to it. Then I mounted the white panel on a scrap of Hero Arts blue card stock from their Sea Layering Papers and put the whole thing onto a white card base.

I also have a green version that may get blogged once I decide what to do with it.

I think you should play along! Go into your stash and grab a bunch of same-colored stuff, make something, then come back to Shopping Our Stash and link us up so we can see what you've made!

Thanks for stopping by!




7 comments:

  1. ok, i really really REALLY thought you DID mean to do that... b/c the "uneven" lineny texture is totally my favorite part of this seriously awesome card!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out well, but it looks like it would be messy to do. I finally got my Christmas cards in the mail today and I am through playing with stamps for a while! On to cookie baking - talk about making a mess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great project, Leslie! I love the background. I really think that the unpredictability of these techniques is what makes them work so well. Love your birds on the wire. Nice work all around!
    Hugz,
    Chana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Messy techniques...I can only handle so many. This one is probably going to end up on my gotta-try if you keep playing with it. I love the lineny texture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this is so sweet! And I have that die, Yay! I love how you are always trying some new & fascinating technique. The effect you got with gelatos & stencils is STUNNING!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a time consuming project but it's sure worth the fantastic results! (Your straight line really impresses me!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so in awe of crafty peeps who make their own backgrounds!! This is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)