Yesterday I got together with a few friends to get stampy. When I pack for one of these events, I tend to under-pack, believe it or not, since my pals (like me) have so much stuff, it's most likely if I need something, they have it. So I packed mostly new things I've been enabled to need from blurfing, and I thought I'd show you two cards I made.
First, I CASEd Jennifer McGuire again from a project that was either part of the last Stenciled Online Card Class or just related to it. Here's my card:
I used my new-to-me Hero Arts Irregular Checkerboard Background stencil and inked it with Distress Peacock Feathers ink using a blending tool. I then shifted the stencil over and down and inked it with Hero Arts Soft Sand ink.
After a bit of deliberation, I decided to stamp a tiny heart from the Simon Says Stamp Card-exchanging Friends set into the centers of all the tan squares. This was no easy feat. I started by dusting the squares with my powder tool, then stamped the hearts with Versamark ink and applied Zing Rouge embossing powder. Let's just say that mostly worked, but I was not happy with the results. I've mentioned in the past that almost every time I try to fix something I tend to make things worse, but that didn't stop me! I went over each of the hearts with my Versamarker and added more embossing powder. The hearts got redder, but so did a lot of other parts of the card. That handsome sentiment strip covers a few of the larger unintended red areas. Wait, I totally meant to do that. There, that's better.
Since I had the stencil out, I used it again with Peacock Feathers for the first set of squares, but this time I made the second set of squares yellow.
I messed up (duh) and had to trim down the piece. Sigh.
I tried to get away from all those hearts, and the red that would inevitably become part of my color-rut card, and I stamped stars in the yellow squares. I must have had the February A Blog Named Hero sketch in mind, because I made the bottom right square different than the others. I had the Simon Says Stamp Friend Flags stamp set out for the stars, so I stamped the star flag in black and cut it out. I thought the black cut all that blue and yellow nicely. Then something happened ... I spied a rogue heart from another partial projects, grabbed a red Copic, colored it and stuck it onto the flag heart. See: color rut.
I thought the stars still looked nekkid, so this morning I added a small black circle to their centers. I didn't have a small enough circle stamp, so I took a teeny tiny star stamp from the Paper Smooches Birthday Buddies stamp set and used the back of it to stamp my tiny circle. If you don't have exactly what you need, make sure to think about using the backs of your stamps. So many options!
I layered the stenciled piece onto black card stock, then put that onto a piece of pool layering papers and stamped the greeting. Unfortunately I also got some black ink onto the top of my block and got it all over the bottom of the white layer. Sigh. Since there are no mistakes in stamping, only opportunities for embellishment, I covered it with a piece of skinny black ribbon, then took a piece of twine that was laying on my desk and added it over the black ribbon. The twine alone would not have covered the smudge.
I have a bunch of other partial card fronts from my play time, but I'm not sure any of them will make it to actual cards. If they do, I'll be sure to post them here!
Thanks for stopping by!