Sunday, January 27, 2013

A Little Paint Here

I've watched the TH video in this post several times, and I still can't get it right. I need more practice. A LOT more practice.

Here are two cards I've made that don't look like a train wreck. First:

(Yes, yes, the washi looks crooked, and maybe it is, although I did try to line it up with the grid paper.) I grabbed four colors of paint and applied them directly to white card stock. If you schmear it around with your finger while it's still wet it blends the lines so they don't show as much.

I cut my new memory Box Vintage Bicycle die out of black card stock and spent the next hour trying to get it to stick. I knew the paint would resist, but all adhesives? I finally got a clue and attached it with three black brads.

But look at this:

It looks goopy because I covered the back with Glossy Accents and it still won't stay stuck. Sigh.

I also stamped the sentiment in Distress paint - Black Soot:

It's a little messy, but then so is the rest of the card, so I'm good with that.

Important note: If you are going to layer your white panel onto black, you should probably cut the white panel smaller. Just sayin'. That explains my handsome faux stitching. *ahem*

The second card is much the same as the first, but different:

On this card I tried and tried to get the whole resist thing to work, and I failed. Apparently the only thing that resists for me is the adhesive. :(  I started by stamping the zig zag with Distress paint and let it dry. Then I stamped the IO Scratches background over it, expecting to be able to wipe it off the paint. Nope. I either used the wrong black ink or I deserve a prize, because that black ink is sure-as-shootin' stuck to the paint. Sigh.

Then I moved on to the paint-over-washi thing. I put two pieces of text tape over the corner, then applied yellow paint to it. I schmeared it around so some of it is thinner (less opaque), and let it dry. Meh.

I then added some blue and some orange and schmeared it around so it wasn't too thick. This bicycle is cut from more of the velvet I used on my last card. It's self-adhesive and darn it if it's not sticking just fine.

The sentiment was stamped, cut apart, then stuck on with Glossy Accents.

I still need way more time and training to work with this stuff. I look forward to a ton of How To videos by people who are trained in how to make it work. Meanwhile, I'll keep playing. :)

Thanks for stopping by!

Products used:
Dylusions Say What You Mean stamp set (SSS|EH)
Memory Box Vintage Bicycle die (SSS|EH)*
Impression Obsession Scratches background (SSS|EH)
Hero Arts Zig Zag Thanks (SSS|EH)
Distress paints*:
  Black Soot (SSS|EH)
  Weathered Wood (SSS|EH)
  Spiced Marmalade (SSS|EH)
  Forest Moss (SSS|EH)
  Mustard Seed (SSS|EH)
  Broken China (SSS|EH)
May Arts black twine string burlap (SSS)
Elizabeth Craft Designs XL Velvet adhesive sheets, black (got mine at my LSS)
Washi tape, text (maybe Tim Holtz?)
Freckled Fawn washi - Birds on a Wire (SSS)
Hero Hues black ink (EH)
Black brads
Memento black marker  (SSS | EH)
Neenah Solar White card stock 25 sheets (SSS | EH) ream (SSS | EH)
Teflon bone folder (SSS | EH)
Fiskars paper trimmer (SSS | EH)
SU Black card stock
Glossy Accents (SSS | EH) mini (SSS | EH

*I got mine at my LSS


  1. Oh what a chuckle fest you created for me when you wrote this post! Sorry you had so much trouble but you entertained me beautifully! The cards look find from here.

  2. I didn't see Tim's video but I think you did an excellent job with these cards.

  3. I love them! I would have never been able to tell you fussed around so much had you not let us peek behind the curtain. Love that sentiment stamp set too.


I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)