Sunday, June 26, 2011

Sketchy Sunday {TG023}

I'm actually doing Tiff's Sketchy Sunday on a Sunday, and the right Sunday, too! I think. At worst I'm a week behind. Oh, yeah, I'm a week behind. Oh, well.

Here's her sketch:

and here's my card:

I broke open my new pack of Cosmo Cricket Social Club for the papers. The Thank You is from Hero Arts, the tiny tags are punched with the SU Jewelry Tag punch, and the center one was stamped using the Tiny Tags set.

A slight aside on sentiment stamps: I have been collecting stamps (I mean, come on, we are collectors, right?) for about 9 years now, and I have neat little collections of Thank You and Happy Birthday and Thinking of You stamps, all organized in clam shell boxes, and I. never. use. them. I went in search of the right Thank You for that card, and I must have touched dozens of "not the right one". What is wrong with me/us that we have so. many. stamps. and none of them are right for what we are making?!

I decided then and there I need to be rid of all these neglected stamps to make room for some of the collection still all over my stamp room floor. Stay tuned. I'll need to photograph them all, and that sounds like work, so it may be a while.

Okay, I'm back to the card. I actually used a new-ish Hero Arts stamp for the Thank You. See? I don't need all those other ones. :)

Let's look at some detail, because I'm all about sharing my DOH moments to help you avoid the same pitfalls.

First, let's talk about that sentiment:

It's straight, right? It's die-cut, too. That's because the one I stamped directly onto the paper was not straight. :( No big surprise there. So I stamped it again onto a scrap, die-cut it, and aligned it with the existing paper, and realized I'd die-cut it off-center, too. Well, technically it is centered within the die-cut piece, but it's not centered on the base strip of paper. (Have I lost you? I've lost myself.)

Embellish! I needed to embellish! It only took me about 15 minutes to find a punch almost the right size to punch out three of the circles from a scrap of the dotted paper to fill in the space. I hope it looks like I meant to do that.

Here is the tag element:

I decided the card was boring and needed a pop of color, so instead of just attaching the tag to the card front, I made that little stacked circle thing out of a few other papers from the pack, then I tied the linen thread around the brad.

I think that's enough picking at this card. I'm going to hit Publish and then go stamp some more.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)