Tuesday, September 16, 2014

SOS #169: Who's Who

It's Tuesday, and time for a new challenge at Shopping Our Stash. This week's challenge title is Who's Who, and we'd like you to use either a photograph or a stamped image of a person on your project.

I dug around in my drawers of neglected stamps, and found two that I don't think I have ever used. Here's one of them:


I've had this stamp forever. The day I made this card I was actually playing with this image + background techniques, and by the time I stamped this one, I decided it needed to be left alone. I might have been "over" the whole background techniques at this point. I'll show you two of my experiments momentarily.

First we need to talk about the different colors of brown. I used Archival Coffee ink to stamp the image onto some water color paper (remember: technique city was in progress), and I had one heck of a time finding the right brown card stock to layer with it. What you see here is a piece of what might be Bazzill textured card stock, but there was no label on it. It came from my newly organized Mystery Browns collection of card stock.

The patterned card stock under the brown layer is from my "here, store this in your craft room" stack of Hero Arts patterned papers gifted to me by a friend.

Now, about those techniques. Here is a card using the same image, but it got come color:


I masked off the image with 3M tape, smooshed some Distress inks onto my craft mat, and painted around the image. It had a darker color outside the yellow, but I trimmed off most of it, leaving just a tiny bit of it beyond the yellow. I used the same mystery brown card stock as a layer, added three brads, stamped a background in the same Archival Coffee ink, and mounted the photo on an angle.

I also have another "people" stamp I've never used. This one is so old How old is it? (Name that show.) that I think I bought it at Recollections when it was still a store, and it's been closed for a looooong time. Here's the card:


The stamp is from Hampton Art Stamps, and is dated 2001. This card was a total experiment. I first stamped the image in Archival Coffee onto water color card stock (remember: experimenting time), then I pulled out my Copic air brush system and started spraying the piece with a light skin-tone color. Yes, her face is blotchy. I then added a dark color of brown around the edges, then "blended" them with a medium brown. It's not really blended at all; I tried to blend it, though.  And that green in her eye? I even sprayed that, too. I'm quite proud the green spray actually landed anywhere near her eye.

It's weird, but it's done. And no, I'm still not investing in an air compressor.

So, got people stamps? I dare you to use them this week. Come on over to SOS to check out what my teammates have made, leave them some comment love, and please play along!

Thanks for stopping by!

Stuff I used: Silences (two kids image) from www.paperbagstudios.com, mystery brown (Bazzill?) card stock, SU Naturals White card stock, Hampton Art Stamps - Diffusion (2001), Antique Brass brads, and the following:



5 comments:

  1. Recollections was a store? I had no idea - just thought it was a Michael's brand name. Who knew?
    Your cards are all awesome! Love both of these stamps, and you techniques rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab cards, love both the images, love that the first one look like a vintage photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both projects are fabulous! I love anything done in Sepia tones. Good work!
    Hugz,
    Chana Malkah

    ReplyDelete
  4. i LOVE all of these, but then, you know my spiritual home is actually IN essperimental technique city, lol! in fact, i put the "MENTAL" in essperimental, lol! still kinda jonesing on the airbrushy thing, especially since i found out jeff actually HAS a compressor. but i don't have a ton of copics and i don't actually color that much and i've been really into a few other new things lately. it's one of those "maybe someday" kind things tho! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mystery browns! lol! Love it.
    I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out the show but I have failed *sob* That stamp, though? Absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)