Thursday, June 18, 2009

I Stand Corrected (And Some Monstas!)

I stand corrected. Yesterday I said that SU missed the boat and did not size these circles to fit in their punches. Well, once again, I WAS WRONG! Once again, SU has sucked me into the void of goodness and now I must own the 1 3/4" circle punch. Their work is done.

Let us revisit the topiary. I made a standard A2 card size this time, so I stepped down the sizes of the circles I used from the Circle Circus set.

See how I managed to actually punch out the circles with a white border this time? Well, if you select the right size circle punch, that totally works. I still had to hand-cut the larger circle, but once I own that 1 3/4" punch, I won't! I am so doomed. Aaaand, this card can be easily modified for a workshop card. ;-)

What was I thinking with that blue layer? Maybe I wasn't. Thinking, that is. But it is what it is, so I kept it. Hey, everything on this card is from The Scrap Heap, so at least I can be thankful for that!

I tried to use SU's red twine, but it was more like a wine color than red, so I used some of one of my gazillion colors of DMC floss instead.

One thing I forgot to mention with the last topiary I made is how I fashioned the topiary base. Last night's was the SU Small Tag Punch (trimmed down) and a Word Window punched piece (also trimmed down). This base uses the Large Tag Punch. I know ... smaller card, larger punch. Whatever. Oh, and I hope you'll not notice the topiary base is assembled totally crooked.

Now that I'm over all of that, I made a really FUN card tonight, too! You know: a little wacky! I arrived home to not only MY REBUILT AND VERY HAPPY FORESTER sitting in my parking space (yes, my mechanic delivers), but also some new goodies. One of the items was a pack of QuicKutz monsta dies! (This one was all Lauren's fault! I sooo just SEE monstas everywhere now!) They were just too cute to pass up! Check 'em out:

I punched these little guys out of four different scraps (I have four sets of four monstas on my work space), then I tried to figure out what to do with them! Since the SU Circle Circus set was still out (of course) I spied this simple dotted circle, so I stamped it with Memento London Fog onto white and cut them out with a Circle Nestie.

The base is Bordering Blue, and the white layer is a Cornish Heritage Farms backgrounder stamp ... Burlap, I think ... stamped in Bordering Blue.

I stuck a monsta into the center of each of the circles, then I added the Basic Gray circle to set them off a bit. As a final touch, I colored their eyes with my white gel pen.

I like it! I really like it!

Okay, too much excitement for one evening. I must now go rest up for The Day Job tomorrow. Thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

  1. Love both cards, but the monster one is just sooooo fun and perfect for a kid....or adult who acts like a kid! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another cool topiary card, Leslie! I like the red. And I never think to use punches to help me create objects (like your plant pot).

    I really like your monsta card too. It IS Lauren's fault; I even purchased a 3D monsta sticker to make a card (maybe one day I will get around to it?)all because of LFL (the other "L") :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, I love little monsters! Those are cute- I will have to check them out!

    I really like the blue with the red!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we all hold Lauren responsible for a number of crafty obsessions that have developed since meeting her!!!! LOL. Those monstas are totally cute though and I can see that it would have been almost impossible to resist them :)
    I hear you on the circle punches too...you just have to bite the bullet and buy them all because you know that sooner or later you will NEED them...but it is one of the many cool *matchy-matchy* things about SU that I love...they take alot of the thinking work out of this by having everything match so well!
    Finally, I am sooooo glad to hear that your car is home safe and sound! And you won't miss the market....so I'm glad that I won't have to miss out on all the fun of a market post!!!! YAY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Leslie,
    Have you thought of using your circle Nestabilities? You can flip the sandwich so that the die goes on top of the paper and you can center your image.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. speaking of doomed: QUICKUTZ MAKES MONSTA DIES??!?!??!? (doooooooooooomed!!!) but yeah, hands up on that one...it was me...you've got me bang to rights...i'll come quietly... :)

    (ps love the monsta card AND the topiary card...yeah...even the light blue layer...light blue and red are kinda cool, actually...) ♥

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)