Sunday, June 14, 2009

What I Learned Today From A Customer

I've said this before, but I'll say it again: I learn as much (if not more) from my customers as they do from me. Now that I think about it, I learn a heck of a lot more from them than they do from me. ANYway, today I learned how to tie a knot that will not move. Ever. This may be old news for you, but since it is new news for me, I'm doing a little Show & Tell. Let us begin.

But first we have the kitty photo du jour. I refused to use a flash (didn't want to destroy the moment), so it is a little dark in the background, but the sun was streaming in and she had found her sun beam. Check out that left front leg stretched over the stretched-out back legs. Yeah, life's tough all over.

Okay, NOW let's get started. FYI: This technique works for those times you want to wrap a piece of ribbon around the whole piece of card stock and tie it into either a bow or a knot. We'll be doing a knot this evening.

Step 0: The major assumption here is that you have already cut your ribbon, as I forgot to add that as Step 1, and I am too lazy to renumber all those steps. So please cut your ribbon the same length you would if you were going to tie the knot your regular way.

Step 1: Punch a 1/8" hole where you want your knot to be. I used the smaller punch side of the Crop-o-dile as instructed, as I always follow the directions, at least the first time I try something. :-)

Step 2: From the back, pull one of the ribbon ends through to the front.

Step 3: Holding the first end in place, wrap the other end down and around the opposite side ...

... flip the card stock over and keep wrapping around the back.

Step 4: Poke the end through the hole and pull it through to the front of the card. Editorial note: I would have taken a picture of this step, but my third arm is out for repair.

Step 5: Flip the card stock back over and pull the ends to tighten the wrapped-around part.

Step 6: Slip one of the ends under the wrapped part of the ribbon and slide the wrapped part over a little so it is centered between the two end pieces.

Step 7: Tie your knot. The hole will be under the flat part of the ribbon, and between that and the knot, you cannot see it.

You are done, and that knot is not going ANYwhere!

Here's a look at the back, with both ends poking through to the front of the card.

Have I lost you? Yes? Well, I had to try it to understand it, so if you care to, give it a try yourself, and let me know if it helps you or hurts you. I sometimes have that effect on people.

In closing, I would like to add that watching Married, With Children re-runs two nights in a row can be very therapeutic. I have not laughed this much in a long time!

I hope to bring you a UHC by Tuesday this week. Thanks for stopping by!


6 comments:

  1. When I saw that knot tying I *aaahhhhh-ed* out loud...that is just perfect!!! I rarely tie my ribbon all the way around the cardstock due to the difficulty I have with knots and bows....this will change all that.
    I only hope that you will demonstrate the bow tying as well....????
    Thanks so much for sharing this and please thank your customer too ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness, i made the BLOG!!! do i get a lapel pin or something. :)
    this just made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Suzanne & Leslie! I would never ever in a million years figure this out. Thank you, thank you, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. now i feel guilty that i can't find the original site where I found this....but i will take credit for it now! woo-hoo.

    (bows to Leslie, aka the enabler)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tutorial. Brilliant idea, beautifully explained!Thanks, Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG- that is genius!!!!! Clearly, I will have to give this a try. I stink at tying knots!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)