Friday, June 26, 2009

More In Colors, a New Technique (for me), SYFY #10, and Tim Curry

I'm still playing with my In Colors, trying to find a nice color combo, and also trying to make a fun project to include with my July Stamp Camps. I like to mix it up a bit when I can, just so The Ladies are not simply sticking paper to paper.

I'm always on the lookout for new techniques (and no, I am not a Technique Junkies subscriber, though I used to be... there's plenty for my pea-brain on blogs, at least for now). I have been watching Jennifer McGuire's Thinking Inking classes, and Week 2, Part 1 was ways to use embossing powder without stamping. One of the projects - I think it was the third one in the video, is making glossy embellishments. I just bought some of the Bulk Buy Pretties Kit stuff from SU, so I know I have enough flowers to go around, so this was a timely video! :-)

Here's my card. It's a Crushed Curry base, with layers of Whisper White, Melon Mambo, and some of the new Razzleberry Lemonade DS papers.

Let's focus on that flower for a sec. I took the white flower, placed it face-down on the Melon Mambo ink pad and pressed each petal down to get it inked. I kinda like that I did it unevenly, so it looks mottled. Then I did the same thing to ink it up with Versamark and embossed it with clear EP. I only did one coat, though Jennifer suggests two with plain EP, or one with UTEE. It is really a neat look!

I also got some Bulk Buy Button Latte packages, so I punched out a 3/4" circle of the yellow DSP, put the button on top of it, poked two holes through with my paper piercer, and threaded some Linen thread through both. I then threaded the ends of the Linen thread through the hole in the flower to hold it all together. I then punched holes through the DSP and Melon layers and pushed the thread through and taped it to the back of the layer. That flower is not going ANYwhere! Why did I go to all this trouble? Because the failed version of this card is in parts over on my table. I could not get anything to stick to that flower - not even the red sticky tape, so I resorted to brute force with this one.

Here is a close-up of our shiny captive. I really, really like how this came out! Oh, did you notice the obligatory ribbon? Hey, I needed to hide the seam between the papers somehow, right? Right?!?! I thought about froo-frooing it up a bit with some white satin ribbon, and it looked pretty nice with this paper, but in the end I opted for a piece of the Melon Mambo dotted grosgrain, because I thought it helped pull together all that pink.

This is my go-to SYFY technique for covering up a sentiment and trying again. I looked back through my SYFY posts, but I did not see this one listed, so I am officially calling this SYFY Tip #10. If you look back at the first card up above ... ... you can see I stamped the sentiment on the yellow (Curry) patterned paper. It looks nice enough, but I was afraid it was a bit lost, so I went with my fall-back plan, which is to stamp the same sentiment on white, then punch out the white plus two other pieces of a coordinating color (Crushed Curry here), and layer up a sentiment to hide the stamped one.

So what do you think? Inquiring minds want to know.

By the way, this is going to be a tough year for me with this Crushed Curry color. I am a fan of Tim Curry of Rocky Horror Picture Show and Muppet Treasure Island fame, which is too bad, really, because he is a Broadway actor, and it's tough to be known as Long John Silver in a Muppet movie, ya know?

ANYway, I like Tim Curry, and this Crushed Curry thing is going to have me thinking about him, a lot. That reminds me, I need to get my Muppet Treasure Island movie back. I think I'll need to watch that this weekend.

And now I leave you with this silliness (but isn't he a handsome devil?):

3 comments:

  1. Now you are going to have me thinking of that fab Tim Curry all year long ;)

    The first thing that jumped out at me in your post is that flower. It is BEAUTIFUL!!! Amazing technique. And those papers? I don't have any will power left, I am afraid. I will have to buy those too. And the ribbon...*sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorrrrrrrrrrrrrgeous flower...FABBBBBBBBBBBBBBULOUS card! i love this, leslie, i love every single thing about it! one of your very very best...which is saying something! ♥♥♥

    ps: i love TC & MTI...my very fave dialogue from that classic film:

    GONZO: my pants are full of starfish!

    RIZZO: you and your hobbies!

    :) :) :) :) :)

    (ok, i thought i had time to do a grand catch-up comments round up...but apparently...LHJ is ready to go do errands RIGHT NOW...quel suprise...back later!) xolb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Firstly I have to apologise for my prolonged absence...it is all my evil back's fault!!!! ;)
    That card is GORGEOUS and what makes it is that FABULOUS flower! Although I've used up all my Pretties flowers, Mama has hardly touched hers {insert very evil laugh}, so I will be trying this out asap!!!
    I love Tim Curry (the name of the new in-colour instantly reminded me of him too!)...clearly all my PSF's have fab taste!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)