Monday, June 22, 2009

More Colors, And A Three-Minute Card

First of all, NO, I was not on the train that crashed in the MD/DC area this evening. It was on the other side of town from me, and I do not take the Metro, anyway, even though it would be better for the environment, and maybe my nerves, to ride instead of drive. Maybe I'd start reading the paper again, who knows? But after too many years of walking from my car to the building in the heat and the rain, I have graduated to a coveted garage spot (at work), and I refuse to give it up to start taking the train. I am old, and I get to have an attitude. Ptttht! But thanks for worrying. ;-)

Here's another card I made with my new In Colors:

I bought this stamp set from the Occasions Mini, and since it made it into the big catalog (read: I can still use it for workshops) I went ahead and mounted it and used it!

The stamp set is Great Friend. I stamped the butterfly on white in Bermuda Bay, Chocolate Chip and Real Red, then cut them out, leaving a white border. I stamped the frame image from the set in So Saffron ink on the So Saffron card stock, just so it wasn't so boring. Each butterfly is stuck on with a Dimensional.

The sentiment (stamped in Choc Chip) is also from the same set, and the Bermuda Bay ribbon was not a scrap (though that would be an excellent use for a scrap). I put a brad through the folded end, trimmed the other side, then stuck it on with two Dimensionals. Note to self: buy stock in whatever company makes these things, cuz I am sure going through them these past few weeks!

Here is one of the butterflies. I wanted you to see the stamped frame behind it. Not. The truth is I wanted to see if I could get a close up in focus, just one time.

The card was originally all So Saffron, but it screamed blah, so I cut out the front panel and put it on a white base instead.

This was pretty easy to make, but for a workshop, I like to have designs where my customers do not need to remember to clean the stamp between colors. I am sure they get sick of me walking by, mumbling "clean the stamp ... clean the stamp ...", trying to subliminally get them all to do it. It does not always work.

Guess what arrived today on my doorstep? More SU goodies. My second of two pre-orders, in which I bought some pre-order stuff plus some other stuff I decided I needed. One of those items is the Big Shot Movers & Shapers Curly Label die. The one that lets you position the die on the magnetic part of the plate, and then it cuts the whole card with a window in it. Yes, it fits in the Cuttlebug!

Are you ready for a 3-Minute card? I kid you not. I put a piece of 12x5 card stock on top of the die and ran it through the Cuttlebug. I needed to turn it around to cut the second side, but still a piece of cake.

I stamped the sentiment on Whisper White and punched it out with the Curly Label punch, and I just lined it up in the window to stick it to the inside of the card.

See? I will say, though, that you do need to line up the die in the Movers & Shapers thing to get it to punch where you want it on the card front. I see much potential for me getting that one crooked!

I added a ribbon - done! Three minutes - start to finish! I am thinking about making a set of cards out of these pastel colors. Oh, did you notice I used purple? PURPLE!? Moi? Yeah. I messed up an order for one of my customers and ordered her two packs of Soft Subtles instead of one SS and one Earth Elements, so instead of figuring out how to exchange a 12x12 pack of paper, I decided to keep it and use it up. Thus, the idea for pastel note card sets. Watch for them at a farmers' market near you! :-)

That's all for this evening. Need sleep ... I'm all done reading about Elizabeth of York. Poor woman ... she lived a miserable, loveless life, then she died in childbirth. Bummer. But she was the mother of the rest of the English monarchy up to the present day, so there's that. She did it all for England. Thank goodness I did not have to live back then. Blech. Tonight I begin The Virgin Queen's Daughter. What if Elizabeth I (King Henry VIII's daughter) had had a daughter? What would she have been like? I'm off to find out!

Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. you're very good at cutting out...me not so much, my scissors are all gooey from, well, gooey stuff and i can't be bothered to clean them off...i'm sure that's only half my problem though

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous cards! I love how you stamped that curly frame stamp beneath the butterflies. Cool technique. I was tempted to buy that SU!/Sizzix die to make your 3 minute card, but I can't justify the expense. But it certainly saves time, huh? Perfect to mass produce your card sets for market.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i ♥love♥LOVE♥looooooooove♥ the "3-butterflies, no waiting" card! glad to see the tim curry cardstock is still gettin' gigs...and those little stamped frames behind the butterflies...swoon...yes, i like them VERRRRRRRY much!

    (the purple-presto one, is cool, too; but it's sadly overshadowed by the other. like elizabeth of york was by henry VII, sorta; but not fatally.) :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)