Saturday, September 22, 2012

More Washi Cards

I got distracted. I know, it happens all the time around here, so I don't know why I'm surprised. Actually, I'm not surprised. I should be working on my VSN challenge cards, but nooooo, I needed to make more cards using this easy-peasy sketch from Clean & Simple:


and this time with some more of my new washi tape. While shopping for cute Halloween paper at Mike's, I found a pack of patriotic washi tapes and I just had to have it. It came with three rolls: red strips, white with red & blue stars, and white. Remember how I just said I use the tapes as packaged the first time? I lied. How do you think white tape would look on a white card base? Not so good, unless you wanted the white-on-white look, which I didn't. So I swapped out the white for a navy blue. Better.

Then I decided the red stripe was too burgundy, so I grabbed another red to use instead. Can you believe I have no red & white striped washi?! How is this even possible?!?!

Okay, now that you've felt my color angst, here's the first card:

Isn't that tape perfect for OWH?

I made two of those, then I decided to make two more, this time with the red striped tape that came in the pack. And lo and behold: it's the perfect red after all:

I love it! You'll also notice I only stamped one sentiment this time, since last time they were so wonky. I should know better.

Also, see that heart at the top? The one dealing with all the white space?  I made that. One of the tips we learned in class:

was to be inspired by shopping, but to use that inspiration and try to come up with something based on what you already have. I wanted a shiny star in the top left quadrant of my card, and planned to die-cut them and emboss them with silver or gold to make them shiny. Instead, I ended up with this heart:

I die-cut them, stuck them to a piece of scrap paper, covered them with Versamarker, and heat-embossed them with Platinum EP. It didn't cover very well, so I decided to add more EP. Um, this works when you're using a container and a spoon, but not when you're dumping it onto scrap paper and then dumping the excess back into the jar. What a mess. Times 4. But the hearts are cool, non?

Okay, I need to stop being distracted and go back to work on some VSN challenges.

Thanks for stopping by!






5 comments:

  1. Ms. L you sure rock the washi tape stuff. Just another reason I feel so unworthy! Heh. I am giddy from so much crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Carla, you do rock the Washi tape. These are perfect for OWH. I may have to make a visit to Mike's, it's been a long time since I've been in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You CRACK me!!! I'm LOVIN' the Washi obsession and LOVE that you used the same layout but just swapped tapes for different themes--POIFECT!!! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect washi tape application :) Love that sketch and it means I can use up some washi. Now I'm distracted. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great idea!!! love it

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)