Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Something Old With Something New

My new SU goodies arrived today, so I simply had to use some of them, and right away! I had four cut pieces of Afternoon Tea DS paper left over from the last wave of Decade cards I'd made, so instead of filing them, or just working around them until the Clean Sweep (which seemed more likely), I decided to use them with some of my new stuff. Thus, the Something Old with the Something New. Clever and original, I know.

The first two new sets I assembled were (1) the Cute & Curly set that coordinates (and is bundled with) the Curly Label Punch, and (2) Pocket Silhouettes. By the way, do you get the sense that SU is challenging our spelling capabilities with the color and set names these past few years? Bayou Blue, Purely Pomegranate, Pirouette Pink, Pocket Silhouettes ... I mean, I don't know about the rest of you, but none of these words were in my every-day conversation frontal-lobe I-know-how-to-spell-that vocabulary until, as a Good Demo, I was required to learn them. I think it is an evil plot to educate us while we play.

So ANYway, back to the Old/New thing. Here is a very basic card that fell together in about 5 minutes:


Recipe (all SU): Stamps - Pocket Silhouettes, Cute & Curly; Paper - Soft Sky, Afternoon Tea DS paper, Whisper White; Ink - Choc Chip, Soft Sky; Other - Curly Label Punch, Choc Chip ribbon.

One trick given to me by Beloved Reader #2 who'd stopped by while I was playing, was to stamp and cut out the innards of one of the label images to mask the outside of the frame so I could stamp the flowers only on the inside. The punch punches outside of the stamped image and leaves enough white space so it looked stupid. Ask me how I know.

To translate that blah-blah-blah into English for you, I decided a picture might be helpful. Pictures are good:

This is my Curly Label mask that will take up residence in the box with the stamp set. You can see the tell-tale signs of the stamped flower stems that fell outside of the frame. That Beloved Reader #2 - she is pure genius. She is also personally moving 12 yards of mulch, one wheelbarrow at a time, around her yard, so maybe not so much genius after all. She was afraid to sit down, and had to keep moving for fear her whole body would sieze up. Okay, genius in the world of stampin', I'll give her that. :-) [Hi there, BR #2.]

And if I use this card with some of the papers in my newly-arrived stash, then it can be one of my workshop projects for September. Ohboy! I love it when a plan comes together.

That's all for this evening. I am going to assemble a few more of my new sets and plan my next project. Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Britiney, She doesn't have THAT many readers!

    She ( Crooked Stamper ) thought of the release paper but the openning was too large.

    Oh and do you know how much $$$ I am saving by spreading the mulch myself? Not to mention ....no gym fees.

    #2

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up! I love reading your blog entries. Your card is sweet...I've eyed that new cool punch and stamp set. I opted for the scallop punch & scallop stamp set first. I know I will succomb before long and buy it. Argh!!!

    I think I need to purge some old stamps and have my own used stamp sale. it's just that everytime I go through my drawers of stamps, I can't seem to part with them, even if I have not used them in a decade! Maybe soon...

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)