Wednesday, February 10, 2010

And the Snow Just Keeps A-Comin'

Not to whine or anything, but Dear Snow Gods, AREN'T YOU ABOUT DONE WITH THIS STOOPID SNOW?!?!? WHAT HAVE WE DONE TO DESERVE THIS TREATMENT?!?!?!

Sigh. I went to work yesterday, and wave 2 of The Snow (tagged on Twitter as #snOMG), started last night. We have some fluffy stuff today - I shoveled about 4" a little while ago, and the weather forecast for the DC area went from Snow Warning to Blizzard Warning. There are winds approaching 50 mph blowing all this new snow about.

The Federal Gov't was officially closed for the third day in a row, and schools are close for the rest of the week. The local snow plow crews and electric company crews are blinded by the white-out and have stopped trying to keep up. We've been told to hunker down and wait it out.

I have lived in Michigan and Illinois (Chicago Western 'burbs), and I don't recall ever being snowed in like this. Plus, those places can HANDLE slow ... DC cannot. We are so far over our annual snow fall right now, I am pretty sure we've busted all sorts of records.

I decided to not get trapped in my own home again, so I went out and shoveled a bit this morning. This is my front door, inside looking out:

You can see my shoveled sidewalk is covered again, and it's a little drifty. But I GOT OUT and cleared it off.

My official measuring stick, stuck in my neighbor's still un-cleared parking spot:

That sure looks like 24" to me! I think tomorrow I'll help her shovel out at least part of her spot. This is just not right.

Here's my car today:

I had to back it in last night since the opening was too narrow to turn into. You can see where the snow is drifted right up to the right side of the car already. Great.

My neighbor brushed off her own car, and the two of us shoveled between them.

I am not going anywhere, so I did not bother clearing off the car yet.

Here is the path down my steps. See the footprints?

I shoveled my way up, worked on the parking spot, shoveled my way back down, grabbed my camera, and there was enough new snow to leave footprints on my way back up to take these pics. It's crazy, I tell you, CRAZY!

From the outside looking in:

Ugh. That's all I have to say: UGH.

In other news, since I am home again today, I've decided to be productive. I KNOW! What a concept! I have what I refer to as my Craft Overflow Area that takes up much of my Living Room floor. My goal today is to make it disappear. I am working box by box, pile by pile, and I will get this stuff put away if it kills me.

What made me take these drastic steps? My boy may come visit me in March, and I need to be able to open the sleep sofa. Uh-huh. So I'll be working on the overflow today and I'll post the Big Reveal later, assuming I make a dent.

Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe how much snow you are getting! Hang in there, before we know it Spring will be here. Good luck cleaning, I need to do the same with my studio. Thanks for the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is a great example of why I'm happy I no longer live in upstate NY - that is Buffalo snow, my dear!

    I bet Kitty is loving this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am cheering you on...one for being brave enough to walk outside, and the other for working on your piles. I am thinking you were successful in cleaning the piles up because I found them. Yep, I spread out all over our dining room table. I have never done that. I have always suffered the piles in my craft room (which are still there) and/or spread out on my table in the basement (which is currently free of crafty stuff, but not free of clutter LOL) I haven't left since Monday night for adhesive emergency. I may go out for coffee this morning just to get OUT.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)