Monday, February 22, 2010

Pop Quiz - The Reveal

I posted a Pop Quiz about 3:00 pm today. Now, as promised, I bring you The Reveal (the answer).

First, I must tell you this is a binary clock, so it works on powers of two. And I know of several different versions of binary clocks, but I can only speak for my own, so here we go ...

The clock:



This clock is divided into three sections, each with two rows of lights. Left to right, the left-most two rows represent the hour, the middle rows represent the minutes, and the right-most two rows represent the seconds.

On my binary clock, reading from bottom up, the lights represent 1 (2 to the zero power), 2 (2 to the 1st power), 4 (2 to the 2nd power), and 8 (2 to the 3rd power). So we have 1,2,4 and 8 to work with (with which to work).

The hours columns of lights have the 2 and the 1 lit up, which equals 03.

The minutes columns have no lights on, so it's :00. So far we have 03:00.

The seconds columns have 2 & 1 on the left, and 2 on the right, which represents :32, giving us 03:00:32.

So Anonymous & Lisa - Papergrace were indeed correct with their guesses! Congratulations!
Unfortunately, you win nothing but the knowledge that you are very, very, smart. :-)

Thanks for playing, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I thought I commented...did it get lost? Hmmm...

    Anyway, I've seen these clocks in magazines that I receive, but just couldn't remember EXACTLY how they worked so I looked it up. I'm not so smart after all. Sorry. :( Hope you're not disappointed in me.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)