Saturday, February 23, 2013

A Buncha Challenges

These days when I lack mojo, I tend to pull myself out of it (if only a little bit) by playing with my hoarded collection of washi tape. If I can take a sketch and a color challenge, I'm usually set.

The design for this first card is a variation of my go-to three-strips-of-washi-tape design. I used the colors from the current Play Date Cafe challenge:


 and this is what came out:

You may think I had a purpose with the placement of those stars, but in fact they hide some unfortunate flaws. The one on the yellow washi hides a piece of fuzz that got under the tape and won't let go. Also, there were only three stars at the top until I noticed a smudge, and since I made and trashed four of these before I got to this one, I was NOT starting over again. CAS is not clean or simple in my world.

Moving on, I used the ColourQ challenge colors:


to make this:

You can sorta tell this started out as the same design as the first one, but of course I stamped the sentiment crooked. Look:

I thought I'd be smart and trim the card stock so the sentiment was straight, then go back and square it up from that edge, which is how that bottom edge got to be such a weird angle. However, when I got to this point, I remembered the sketch from CAS(E) This Sketch!:

which I re-oriented to work for my, um, situation:

See that angled edge? THAT'S what I needed! So that's how this came to be (one more time):

The original sentiment is nicely covered by the banner. See? There are no mistakes in stamping; only opportunities for embellishment!

I think both of these cards qualify as "Masculine", so because I'm in a funk, I'm going to go ahead and submit them for the Addicted to CAS challenge:

So there you have it: a buncha challenges all knocked out in two cards.

Thanks for stopping by!

Products used but not linked below: Misc washi tape, black sharpie (faux stitching over the washi tape).





17 comments:

  1. Both are great and I LOVE those stars - on both cards! GREAT!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when you have a card and make an error but then figure out how to fix it. Both fixes are great. Also, hate that whole mojo thing disappearing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I love all these cards! Perfectly CAS and perfect for our current challenge. Nice work! Thanks so much for playing along at ATCAS! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving your washi tape card, brilliant! Thank you for sharing with us this week at the colourQ!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great motto: "There are no mistakes in stamping; only opportunities for embellishment!" It is so inspiring to see what other card makers do when that little smear, tear, or mark occasionally happens. Love your great fixes. Both of your cards look wonderful. My favorite is the one with the banner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. however those stars got there... they look great! thanks for joining us in the play date cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fun - love the bright pops of colour against the kraft! Thanks so much for playing along with us at CAS(E) This Sketch this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic cards, great colour combos and love those stars. I agree, mistakes are just creative opportunities lol.
    Thanks so much for sharing with us at CAS(E) this Sketch this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Catered Crop has a star challenge just now :) Perfect for these serendipitous stars!
    I hear you on the washi fuzz...I starting keeping mine in a drawer because 3 cats + 1 dog= lots of fuzzy, but then I forget to use it.
    Did you use a marker or ink to colour your stars?

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry that you are not able to accept comments --- What a bummer!!

    Keep on reporting them and hopefully they will stop!

    What a darn shame! Your cards are ALL fabulous, so I do HOPE you will see this comment and that maybe the spammers have STOPPED!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great cards! Thanks for joining us at the ColourQ this week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic job! Isn't it great when embellishments are the perfect bandaid? So glad you could join us for this week's Play Date Cafe Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the angle of your card... Thanks for hanging out with us at The Play Date Cafe this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice save on the sentiment! I would yell at you to gt out your stamp positioner, but then you wouldn't have opportunities for embellishment :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome cards! I love the Washi patterns and that blue ink you used on the first one! Thanks for playing at the Play Date Cafe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahhhhh . . . I love how you adapted the sketch to suit your purposes - every clever! Thanks so much for playing with us at CAS(E) This Sketch - we're so glad you did!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm a huge washi tape and stars fan, so how can I not LOVE these cards? They are gorgeous! Thank you for joining us at Addicted to CAS!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)