Saturday, February 16, 2013

JBR13-04 Sketchy Winter Wonderland

I played the new Jingle Belles challenge, and this week it's ... wait for it ... a sketch! Yep: Sketching in a Winter Wonderland:


As soon as I saw that half-circle, I knew what had to be done. I had to break out my MFT High Tea Party Doily die. The giant one. The one that's so detailed it has its own release tool. Yeah, that one. I got it before the metal shim plate was invented, and I just didn't have the patience to shim the thing with card stock to get a good, deep cut, so I've neglected it. UNTIL NOW! Lookie:


I used the metal shim when I ran it through the Big Shot, and I used the release tool I got when I bought the die to get all the teeny tiny bits out of it. I cut it from SU Shimmer White, and you're gonna have to trust me on that one since we know I'll never be able to prove with with my crack photography skillz.

The pretty paper is from the North Country paper pack, the blue layer is SU Pool Party, and the base is Ellen Hutson Linen card stock.

Buttons are from my Red Button jar, the sentiment is from an oldoldold Cornish Heritage Farms Kim Hughes set called Christmas Critters, and the deer were cut out from one of the papers in the North Country pack.

I actually sewed those buttons through the card by punching a hole with my paper piercer under the Pool Party ribbon and, with needle and Pool Party twine, I stitched up and back down, and knotted each one behind the blue card stock layer. They aren't going anywhere, and neither is that ribbon.

There's something oddly refreshing about making a Christmas card in February. :)

Thanks for stopping by!

Products used but not linked below: SU Shimmer White card stock, SU Pool Party card stock, SU Pool Party Ribbon, SU Pool Party twine (guess I like it, huh?), CHF Christmas Critters (CHF is back in business under new management, but no Kim Hughes stamps ... she got all her designs back and now she's Ms Paper Smooches. She's re-released some of them under her new company.), misc red buttons.




9 comments:

  1. That doily is amazing .. and I love those colors ... so glad you got sketchy with us at jingle belles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous. Love your textured deer. Thanks for using the sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, Leslie. This is beautiful. Did you use the distress marker for the sentiment? And where is that deer die from? It is so sweet. Plus it looks like you embossed the brown paper first?

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh *WOW* that is fabbbbbulous! pretty much think this post needs a big, bold print, "SERIOUS ENABLAGE" warning label right up top, just b/c EVERYONE who sees this card is going to rush right over to their favorite online shop and order the doily die! starting with *ME* actually!!! :) :) :) but having said all that, this thing is sooooooo much more than the sum of its parts and i love every single element you have used! (especially those cuuuuuuuuuuute deer!!!) ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even with the release plate, I'd NEVER have the patience/grace to cut that die! Love your card :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That doily is gorgeous and I like the patterned paper for the deer. I saw something online about using a lint roller to get the tiny bits out of an intricate die cut, but I haven't tried it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's crazy but true - making the occasional Christmas card now IS kind of fun :) Never woulda thunk it.
    Good for you sewing on the buttons, btw. It's the right thing to do :) I loved this paper collection...I think I might still have some!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great use of the sketch. I commented on my blog how I thought our cards were similar, but looking closer, it's just a few small details. I really like your paper choices and the red buttons pop right off the Pool Party ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a lovely doily die. it looks amazing here though I can only imagine how much work it is to poke out all those tiny bits. this is really a super card and I also love making Christmas cards in February - I just think about how that pile keeps growing!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)