Friday, November 13, 2015

Purchase Justification

Once again, I find myself wondering why I bought something, then forcing myself to use it. In today's episode, I found my MFT Blueprints 20 die set in my "new but not yet used" basket, so I took it out, and the fun began.

I like the quilt-y part of the dies. I think that's what sold it to my brain. I thought I was following a color challenge of red + green + navy, but after I'd die-cut everything, I realized it was dark gray, not navy. Oops. But it's still a classic combination, so I plowed forward.

I cut one each of the red, blue, green and white. Please notice there are three parts to the quilt: the frame, the squares, and the shapes that fit into the squares. This forced my brain to spin a bit.

I started with the blue frame and put in all white squares. Here's that card so you know of which I speak:

Why yes, it is crooked. I'll fix that.

This was easy. All I needed to do was make sure I didn't put two of the inner shapes of the same color next to each other.

I set out my remaining frames and started placing the red, blue and green squares. Then I realized I needed some white, so I cut another white one. While placing the center shapes, I realized I need more of all the colors, so I cut more. These last three rectangles were tough on my gray matter!

I had more frames, and more parts-is-parts, and actually considered making a few more, but what was left of my brain did some quick math, and I realized it was like the never-ending song: more frames = the need to cut more innards, yielding ... more frames. I tossed the remaining parts.

Here are the four finished cards so you can see what I've been rambling on about:


I'm not sure which one I like more than any of the others. Each has its strong points. At first I thought I liked the navy frame with the white squares the best, but now I dunno. Maybe I like the green frame better.

Oh, the sentiment is from the MFT You've Got Mail stamp set. I thought it would be a fun sentiment for a thank you card from someone who has been pampered by her friends. Or maybe to give to your doctor during this month of thankfulness.

Considering how much sweat I put into these cards, the list of products is quite short. Stuff I used: remnants of SU navy, red, and green card stock, and the following:



6 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh these are awesome! Totally reminds me of gorgeous quilts! Fab job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are excellent! I can see where you could just keep cutting, and assembling, and needing more cutting...
    I think the lower-right one is speaking to me the most, but like you, I can't be sure...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I've ever seen this die set, but I sure do like it! I love the homespun look of a comfy quilt and the colors are fabulous too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just ordered $122 worth of MFT dies last month, but I didn't see this one! I do love the mini mass-production of what I call paper-piecing dies. The best part? No scraps!!!

    Lovely cards, each and every one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really neat die set and I can see why you had to have it. You've justified your purchase in a splendid fashion! I think they are all neat cards. It is good you saw which way the madness was going and stopped before you got caught making those cards for the rest of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these colorful cards. That blueprint set is fabulous. Love the quilty look.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)