Sunday, December 21, 2008

Geography Lesson (aka: Creative Avoidance)

As I reviewed the last few pages of Book 1 of the Road Trip scrapbook, just to get my bearings on where I needed to pick up and continue, I got confused. You see, I am meticulous in my record-keeping, maybe even anal. I map out a route, then I have a book with the pages of printed maps and what I planned to do. Then I write all over these pages as I drive so I know where I deviated from my plan, and what roads I actually took so when I get to document it later, I can remember where I was when I took certain pictures. See: anal.

Then, when I get home, I write a Trip Report with the blow-by-blow of the whole trip. THEN, when I sit down to scrapbook, I just follow the Trip Report, and it is easy to fill in the blanks with photos, because I knew where I was at all times. (Is anal-retentive hyphenated?)

So imagine my chagrin when I discovered what I thought was a boo-boo on the last page of my effort from last year. I showed myself entering from Missouri into Iowa, then crossing a bridge to take a photo at the state line of ... Illinois? Wha?!?! So yes, I have been losing sleep over this. I mean - where had I gone wrong?!?! I finally looked it up and figured it out, and so, my dear readers, we have a geography lesson today.

Here is where the mystery began, somewhere during Day 4, when I crossed from Illinois into Missouri at Hannibal, boyhood home of Mark Twain.


After leaving Hannibal later in the day, I followed The Great River Road, to the best of my ability, all the way through Missouri until I crossed over into Iowa.

Once in Iowa, I was in a little town called Keokuk, and I drove along the river to a large bridge, walked half-way across it and took a photo of the state line sign: Illinois.

WAIT a minute! I just came from Missouri into Iowa, and now I am in Illinois!??!?!?

Yep, and here's why:

Check out this map (and please appreciate the state line labels. It took me forever to get that Missouri/Illinois one to stick.) Here we have a three-state meeting point (see that handsome red dot.) Who knew that these three states met?

So it turns out what I'd done was drive from Missouri into Iowa, then I drove along the river into town and crossed a bridge that went from Iowa to Illinois. I think it was that yellow line/road in the upper right of the map. Yep, that's what I did alright. Mystery solved!

Okay, now I really need to get to work on those holiday cards. I did have to make some Chanukkah ones last night, and I'll post those later, after I write them. I should be back up for air sometime on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)