Today I bring you Random Sunday, mostly because I'm feeling random and unfocused. I've been working on a few things I thought I'd show you, then I may need to nap from the exertion. Seriously.
1. I finally made a card from the last batch of card parts left over from my September Stamp Camp kits:
I'm calling this my Three Amighosts. I'm also calling this a mock-up since I managed to mess up the alignment with the blue layer and there is no white border on the bottom. Pthth.
I got the idea to use the owl punch to make ghosts here. (She is way smarter than I am; it was NOT my idea.) I created "night air" by swiping my Vanilla Craft Ink pad across the Not Quite Navy card stock.
It looked blah, so I added a piece of orange taffeta ribbon under the sentiment. I'm pretty happy with it. Now I can finally use up the extra kit parts and put everything away from the Stamp Camp. ;)
2. I took a pic of the SUN, and I LIVED:
I also had dirt on my lens, and I got some refraction (is that the right word?), so it is not a great pic, but I GOT A PIC OF THE SUN! It doesn't take much to make me happy.
3. One of my tweeps wondered if I made any Christmas cards with just a tree on them. Well, yes, I have, in the past. Here is one I did several years ago. I went looking for the measurements for the squares, and I found this blog post, where she has an EXCELLENT tutorial about how to make them. Here is one I cranked out this morning:
(Yes, the whole thing is crooked, so it's a mock-up. Sigh.) The paper is from the remains of a parent sheet I got several years ago. The card base is Sahara Sand, and I used my largest oval Nestie to cut the opening. I still want to try adding glitter to the folded parts, plus I might add a Merry Christmas at the bottom like I did with the Halloween sentiment on my Three Amighosts card.
4. Bookmarks. I made bookmarks.
Forty-nine bookmarks (there were a few fatalities, or it would have been more). This is actually the end-result of many hours' labor, and I'll be GIVING these away. Truth. One with each Holiday Craft Show sale, and also with my online etsy orders. Now, if I maybe upload some cards to sell, that might actually happen.
5. A Farmer Mike epiphany. As I was sitting at my table at the farmers market yesterday, I made tassels for the bookmarks between sales. It was a slow day, so I made a LOT of tassels. 45 to be exact. I followed the video instructions to wrap the DMC floss around a piece of folded cardboard, tie the top, cut the bottom, then attach the binding around the threads.
Farmer Mike was watching me when I wasn't looking (and I can usually sense when he is hovering), and he said I was doing things the hard way. I followed his suggestion, and OMG, HE IS SO SMART! Allow me to share with you my new tassel-making method. Note: This only works if you are starting with a new skein of floss (are these things called skeins, or is that just yarn? Whatever.)
By the way, I took these pics at my farmers market table, which will explain all the plastic boxes you see. I told you sales were slow.
a) This is a new skein of floss:
b) Take off the wrappers:
c) Cut four pieces to use as your ties (just like you would in the original method):
Now this is where he stopped me. I was unwinding the rest of the skein at this step in the process to cut it in half and wind it around the cardboard. From this point on, I bring you Farmer Mike's Idea:
d) Take one of the ties and tie it through the already looped skein of floss:
Do the same thing on the other end.
e) Take the other strings and tie your bindings:
f) Cut the thing in half:
Since I only get two tassels out of a skein of DMC floss anyway, this was so much easier than the other method. I don't think things are as tight this way, but it's definitely an nice alternative.
6) A G-I-V-E-A-W-A-Y is imminent. Back when I hit 1000 posts, I promised you I'd give stuff away. And I will. I even have a clue as to what it will be and how I will do it. By tomorrow I shall have A Plan. Promise.
That is all my brain can handle today. I think I'm suffering from the fumes of cleaning supplies. Yes, I cleaned a little bit. I have a clean refrigerator, inside and out, and for grins I also cleaned the stove and dishwasher. I have clean stainless steel appliances. They don't actually "gleam", but I think they would if they could.
While I'm feeling domestic, I may fold some of these towels. And vacuum. Then maybe I'll stamp some more.
Thanks for stopping by!