Tuesday, June 12, 2012

SOS #55 - Double The Ribbon

It's time for another challenge at Shopping Our Stash! This week we ask you to double up on the ribbon. That's right: use at least two different ribbons or twines, or a combination of both! Ribbon: I haz it.

This card was inspired by my hoarded Every Color Grosgrain Ribbon Ever Made by SU, and a memory of the classic (well, it was way back in the day) combination of navy & kelly green. I threw in a sketch, and this is what came out:

There's a lot going on here, so I'll try to explain. This card actually started with that piece of white on which I'd stamped polka dots in blue & green ala this card. I turned it vertically to use this Retro Sketch (sorta):

I actually had a butterfly for that element, but the card morphed into something else, so basically this sketch just got me started. Once I added the horizontal ribbons, I lost control.

Let's talk about those letters. I have a cache of white sticker letters, some glittery, some not. I was determined to use some of them, so I got painty. Look:

I mixed two of my Studio paints from Claudine Hellmuth according to the chart on the Ranger site. I surprised myself ... didn't think I had the dark blue color, but I did! :) I blended the two colors on my craft mat with a little water, then painted the letters. I like how they came out:

I put a few strips of washi tape under the letters for a spot of color.

Now, about that heart:

I first had a wooden butterfly here that I'd painted with several Distress stains, but it looked dull. I painted over that with some of the blue paint, but disliked it. Boring. I ran a row of Distress red Stickles down the middle of the butterfly for color, which I liked better, but when I accidentally brushed the side of my hand against it and schmeared the Stickles everywhere, I decided the butterfly didn't want to be on this card after all. That's when I die-cut the heart out of a wood scrap and stained it with Distress Stain. This was an added bonus because I could add a baker's twine bow and get a third ribbon element on the card. Sweet.

Then I realized I'd been using the white piece as my card base, and it's only 4x4, so breaking with tradition once again, this card ended up 4 1/4 square. Yes, my head hurts.

Now it's YOUR turn! Go into your stash, find some ribbon or twine -- at least two different ones -- then make a card using them. This would be the perfect the time to break out those "oh, they'll go with everything" ribbons that actually go with NOTHING, and use them together!!! Then come back to Shopping Our Stash and link us up so we can see what you've made!

Thanks for stopping by!

Recipe
Stamps: PTI Polka Dot Basics
Ink: SU Midnight Muse and Gumball Green
Paper: Whisper White, Midnight Muse, Gumball Green
Other: SU wood sheet, Nestabilities heart die, Divine Twine baker's twine, SU navy and apple green grosgrain ribbons, washi tape, misc glitter letters, Studio paints in Smidge of Blue and Classic Teal, Barn Door Distress Stain

4 comments:

  1. arrrrrrghhhhhh! mr. blogger is bein' a PIP today, i just wrote a lonnnnnnng laureny comment and HE ATE IT!!!

    iss too much to re-type, lemme sum up: LOVE this card, LOVE the painted-to-match "love" letters, LOOOOOOOVE hearing your "process" (as always!), LOVE your version of that sketch!!! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! So stunning! LOVE everything about this - from the tape to the hearts, dots, and those fabulous painted letters! So pretty!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving all your washi tape creations! That is one item I do not have in my stash believe it or not! Cute card and the blue is such a pretty blue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. those dots are super cool...and the heart ended up working perfectly with that twine, so perfect bonus!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)