Tuesday, June 26, 2012

SOS #57 - Red, White & Blue or Stars & Stripes

It's time for another challenge over at the Shopping Our Stash blog. This week we ask you to use Red, White & Blue on your card; or Stars & Stripes; or surprise us and mix 'em up. Red, White & Blue and Stars & Stripes don't have to be only for patriotic holidays, you know, so put on your thinking caps!

Here's the card I made for this challenge:

I don't know about that raffia, but I like the rest of the card. I followed this sketch from My Favorite Things (aka: MFT):

AND I opened and used a ton of my MFT stash. I was determined to NOT make an Independence Day card -- I wanted to show that RW&B can be so much more versatile than that!

What, wait ... this can't possibly be all she has to say, right? Okay, let's have a show & tell. :D I documented how I did the button and raffia, so I thought I'd share that here.

First I put the button where I wanted it:

 and I punched through the holes with my paper piercer. Then I pushed the paper piercer through the holes to embiggen them.

This next part was the most difficult -- feeding the twine through the holes:

I ended up threading it through a big-eyed needle and pulling it through that way. Once that was done, I v-e-r-y patiently fed it through the holes of the button. Then I tucked in the bunch of raffia and pulled the twine tight so the button held the raffia in place, and I tied the knot. Done:

Okay, now it's YOUR turn. Go into your stash and find some Red, White & Blue stuff, or stars, or stripes, or a combination of any of the above. Then make a card and link us up over at Shopping Our Stash so we can see what you've made!

Thanks for stopping by!

Recipe:
Stamps: MFT Big Greetings
Paper: Authentique Celebration collection, SU Naturals White
Ink: Memento Black
Other: MFT Die-namics Mix & Match Banner, MFT Die-namics Notched Tags stamp & die set, Divine Twine by Whisker Graphics, misc white button, misc raffia

4 comments:

  1. i was determined to use RWB w/o the patriotic part, as well, which is how i got the cupcake, lol! but i think you're quite right that it's a GREAT, bright, eyecatching palette that doesn't need any other reason to be used!

    btw, i think i mentioned that i ♥LOVE♥ this card, that is a great sketch and you have totally ROCKED it!!! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the raffia on here - and also that little banner! Precious!

    So glad you said how you did the raffia behind the button too.....I would have just had a mess trying to do that and this is so perfect!

    Great card.

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute. I love the banner with the stars!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool way to add the raffia element. I have to tell you that when I first started scrolling down to see the card, the top half of the raffia and button look like a bunny head. Which you totally intended,right? :-)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)