Saturday, June 2, 2012

Tomato/Tomaaaaahto

I've always wondered about the word "spatter". I thought it should be "splatter", with an "l", so I looked them up.

Spatter spat·ter 
v. tr.
1. To scatter (a liquid) in drops or small splashes.
2. To spot, splash, or soil.
3. To sully the reputation of; defame.
v.intr.
1. To come forth in drops or small splashes: Hot grease spattered in all directions.
2. To fall in or as if in a shower, as rain or bullets.
n.
1.
   a. The act of spattering.
   b. The condition of being spattered.
2. A spattering sound.
3.
   a. A drop or splash of something spattered.
   b. A small amount; a smattering: just a spatter of praise.

Splatter splat·ter 
v.tr.
To spatter (something), especially to soil with splashes of liquid.
v.intr.
To spatter, especially to move or fall so as to cause splashes.
n.
A splash of liquid.
adj.
Characterized by gory violence: splatter films.

Splatter films? Really? I need to get out more. This is what I'm pretty sure is known as circular definition. Spatter is to scatter, and splatter is to spatter.  I don't even want to talk about item 3.b, above, which mentions a smattering. ;/


So we've established that this could be either spatter or spLatter -- same thing. Either way, I don't do it, except when I'm cooking bacon.  I don't spLatter in The Captains Quarters, just like I rarely spray in there, because (1) this place is tiny, and (2) I have white carpet. Nuff said.

Ergo, when Donna asked me if I'd played the Moxie Fab World: Spatter Technique Challenge, I instantly told her I don't DO spLatter. Then I thought about it some more. What the heck, right? So I made this:


Note: I have since moved that bottom piece of washi tape to the bottom right corner of the spLattered white panel, for balance. I think it looks better over there. And I'm too lazy to re-take this photo. ETA: I re-took the picture with the repositioned tape:





That center panel started out as a 3x4 piece of water color paper. I trimmed it like you trim your bangs ... a little off this side, a little off this other side ... I was actually following this sketch from The Friday Mash-Up:

 I thought not only did I nail the sketch, I also did a manly card, so I did the Mash-Up! Too bad this is LAST WEEK'S CHALLENGE! Story of my life. Sigh.

First - the SpLatter:

I have three spray bottles of schtuff* I acquired as the result of enablement via the Tim Holtz Creative Chemistry 101 class. I have two colors of Dylusions spray and one bottle of Adirondack Color Wash (I wasn't paying attention -- I picked up pretty bottles.) I took the sprayers out of each bottle, one at a time, and very carefully and gently flicked the inky end with my finger so it spLattered on the piece of water color paper. I made a mess, but it was contained to my craft mat that I could wipe up when done. I flicked over the whole piece of water color paper, then trimmed it down to a shadow of its former self to fit the sketch.

The green and turquoise pieces are from the Remnant pile. I initially stamped each of them with a different retired SU manly patterned background stamp using Versamark for just a hint of pattern. Too blah. So I took each of the pieces, put them in a very small box, and sprayed them with the Dylusions sprays! I DID! Here's the turquoise piece with the SU Canvas background, over-sprayed with Dylusions Turquoise:

A little twine, a few pieces of obligatory washi tape to taunt Jackie and because I HAVE IT, a sentiment using words from my Skipping Stones Design Grunge set, and done! I survived! :)

Thanks for the push, Donna! And thanks to the rest of you for stopping by!

Recipe:
Stamps: Skipping Stones Design Grunge, SU Canvas and Flannel Plaid bg stamps
Paper: SU Water Color paper, Tempting Turquoise, maybe Green Galore, Naturals White card base
Ink: Memento black, Versamark
Other: Dylusions Cut Grass and Vibrant Turquoise, Adirondack Wild Plum Color Wash, washi tape

*No, I don't do spray. Yes, I bought three bottles of spray. What part of "enablement" has not been clear?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)