Monday, December 31, 2012

OWH Sketch #153

I am in the midst of disappearing another 6x6 paper pack, and yes, I am very proud. This time it's my Basic Grey Marrakech 6x6 pad. I am absolutely in love with these papers, so why I've so rarely used them is beyond me.

I took this week's OWH sketch:

and made 15 cards. Here's one of them:

This turned out to be the only one I made with a horizontal orientation. Here's the same paper on a vertical card:

I liked this one better, so all the rest are also in this direction. Yeah, I know the ribbon should be going the other way, but at least I'm in the spirit of the sketch, right?

Speaking of ribbon, this is SU Navy, and I may have hoarded it. We went so long without a real navy ribbon, I was beside myself when it finally appeared in the SU catalog and went a bit nuts. I have a lifetime supply, in case you were wondering.

Here's another one:

All the papers were matted with SU Night of Navy, and I made a pretty good dent in my box of 1/4-sheet card stock. I also used more Night of Navy to cut the layers for the sentiments. I like that navy goes with all these papers, even this orange one. Gotta love the matchy-matchy of these paper packs.

This next one may be my favorite paper in the pack:

So soft. Did you notice I used eyelets on the sentiment panels? They were boring with nothing there, and I thought to try eyelets. I rummaged in my Every Color Blue Eyelet and Brad drawer and found a box of Making Memories eyelets that were pretty close in color. I used my Crop-A-Dile to set 30 of those buggers. Remember back to the hammer-setting days? Yeah, I don't miss them much.

This next one is the busiest paper in the pack:

I never know how to use these busy papers, so this worked out well for me.

Last one:

Don't you just love these colors?

About the sentiment panels. I used an MFT die for the white pieces, and I wanted to layer them, so I fell back to my old ways of making my own mat layer. I cut some Night of Navy card stock with the same die, then cut it in half. I put adhesive on the back of the top and bottom of the white layers, then stuck them onto the blue. 

Here are the front and back of one of them so you can see what I mean:

See how the blue is only at the top and bottom of the sentiment? Here's the back:

I also trimmed off the pointy pieces of the blue layer so they didn't stick out. If I were a perfectionist, which we all know I am not, I would have cut more navy pieces and cut them in half the other way to make side layers. Maybe if I was making one, but I made fifteen, and I wasn't going there.

Oh, and I had a Save Yourself From Yourself (SYFY) moment I wanted to share. I saw a squirrel and wasn't paying attention, and I used the wrong side of the Crop-A-Dile to punch the hole for the eyelet. After stamping and layering, I was NOT making another one, so I patched it. I put a piece of card stock over the hole and re-punched the smaller one:

I added a handsome (if very faint) red dashed line to show the edge of the scrap piece I stuck onto the back of this panel. Once it was in place, I just punched a new hole, and the eyelet went in perfectly.

So there you have it: 15 more cards for OWH. Today I shall repeat a previous session and use up my solids and cut-off pieces from that pack. I could get used to this. :)

Thanks for stopping by!

Products used:
Basic Grey Marrakech 6x6 paper pack
SU Night of Navy card stock
SU Naturals White card stock
MFT You Move Me stamps & dies (SSS | EH) dies only (SSS | EH)
Hero Hues black ink (EH)
Crop-A-Dile (SSS | EH)
SU Navy grosgrain ribbon
Making Memories navy eyelets
SU Dimensionals adhesive


9 comments:

  1. I am still laughing over your squirrel distraction moment! Your cards are fantastic, as usual. Love your use of that navy layering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice save on your squirrel moment! You are an OWH star! Your cards are wonderful and you used eyelets! I had forgotten all about those little things. They are lurking in one of my crafty drawers, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous array of papers your chose for your cards. I just love that sentiment and the way you back it up with the blue card stock. Your squirrel moment turned out just fine. I love to watch all the gifts of nature. I would like to wish you and your family a wonderful New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have my scrap table in front of a window also si I can gawk. I am hoping I never have a squirrel moment. All cards while CAS are perfect. The white shape really pops nicely. tfs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are awesome! 15 cards; that is awesome. LOVE your die cuts and way to go saving the last one. :) Love when you can fix what you screwed up! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do not look out the window when using tools!!! Your cards are terrific, and I'm so impressed that you've used another pad of paper. Great use of eyelets too! I tend to forget that I have a million of those.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the look of the eyelets - great look and idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have got to be the fastest bloggers! I played with this sketch yesterday and no way was I even near photographing the cards! I'm impressed. I love the trick of how you matted the labels, I need to remember that one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that's a clever layering technique! I think it actually looks more sophisticated with just the top and bottom peeking out than it would have if you'd done all four sides.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)