Saturday, January 9, 2010

Mis En Place

Since I've been working in the Captain's Quarters (as opposed to all over the Dining Room), I take down my 6' table at the end of the Stamp Camps so I do not clutter it up and need to clean it in order to use it again the next month. So this morning, I set up the table and laid out my 4 projects with all their supplies:

Then the cutting begins. I take one at a time into the Captain's Quarters and cut all the card stock and paper for each one times the number of people I have signed up. This month that's 17, so I made 18 kits - easier to do an even number. As I finish up each card's parts-is-parts, I put all the cut materials in front of the samples to prepare for the collating process.

Here we have Projects 1 & 2 ready to go:

Yeah, my Kraft card stock is a little bent. Just look away, please.

Here are projects 3 & 4:

Yeah, it looks like someone threw up pink hearts all over the place, doesn't it? This is soooo not "me". It won't happen again for another year.

Since I rarely ever think of all 4 projects at the same time, I sometimes paint myself into a corner. Okay, almost every month I paint myself into a corner, and this month did not disappoint. For project 3 I need to use the Big Shot to cut the butterflies, and for project 4 I need it to cut 2 of the Top Note dies. So as you can see here, I opted to pre-cut the Top Note pieces for everyone (18 kits x 2 = 36, uh-huh) and they can cut their own flutterbys. Problem solved.

To assemble the kits, I start at one end, take one of each thing, then put them into a large cellophane bag at the end of the line:

After all the kits are assembled, the table is once again clear, and I set up the stations there and at the round table.

Table 1:

The Big Shot Station:


... and part of table 2:
This, I predict, will be the most favoritest project of all for The Ladies, mostly because of the over-abundance of chocolate in those two baskets. I think we have enough.

On the left, next to the spool of ribbon, you can see a skeleton of a box body. I made this at the same time I made my mock-up, and I left it here with markings and measurements indicated, and folds and cuts all done, including red sticky tape applied, so they have something to guide them.

Uh-oh ... see that box on the chair? I forgot about it:

That box contains all the crap that was stacked up on the CD cabinet in my front hall. I had to clear it off to move the cabinet last weekend, and I left it there. Hmmm ... maybe I'll just toss it and forget about it all together! :-)

I also have not put all the 3 bags' worth of stuff back in the under-the-sink cabinet. I'm thinking I don't need all of that stuff, either. Time to purge. Purge day will be Tuesday, as trash day is Wednesday. Perfect.

Tomorrow I have two sessions: 10-12 and 2-4, then work on Monday and another session Monday evening. I should come up for air some time on Tuesday. I hope to have something crafty to show you by then. I know, I keep saying that, but I still hope to. Really, I do.

Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

  1. this is really impressive! i wish i had a local lady like you :( i mean, i might have a local lady...but meh

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so organized! Now, who are you and what have you done with Leslie? :-) Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! I should try mis en place for myself (since i don't do classes anymore.) Lucky peeps who get a session with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. duuuuuuuuuuuuude!!! if all that cuttin' & fixin' and packin' ain't CRAFTY i dunno what is!!! geeez,

    i wish i lived inside commutin' distance, b/c i would not only COME to stamp camp...i'd come the weekend before and be yer willing minion! of course, you'd have to RE-STOCK the chocolate... like...pretty much ALL the chocolate...but it's the thought that counts, right?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love seeing how everyone else sets up. I do a sitting class...we pass everything aorund...it takes longer but the girls like it so it works for me.
    You are super organized leslie...and creative too!!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)