Tuesday, August 2, 2011

SOS Challenge #11 - Vellum, Violets & Violins

This week's challenge at Shopping Our Stash is Vellum, Violet or Violins, wherein we ask you to uncover your vellum paper, embellishments, or use the color violet or a floral image, or use something music related- think music notes, sheet music backgrounds, song lyrics, etc. Well, there's plenty there for just about anyone! :)

I went through a phase in my early stampy years where I "collected" pretty vellum. I have a whole section in my Miscellaneous Paper Storage area devoted to just vellum. It's sad.

So I went to the way-back machine and made this:

That's 1/4 of a piece of printed vellum. I punched holes at the top and used my Crop-O-Dile to set two eyelets (Remember eyelets? I used to use them ALL the time. I have an embarrassing collection of Every Color Eyelet But The One I Need, but that will be a different post.), then I tied a piece of 1/8" taffeta through the eyelets.

So this piece of vellum kinda made the whole card. Except for the eyelets and stamped sentiment, I did nothing. Sweet.

Another thing I do with vellum is use it as an overlay. In the past I've made cards like this:

where I stamp or print a sentiment onto a piece of vellum, then use it as an overlay on the main image. In this case it's a photo I took of some tall grass.

One more, because I started it and I needed to get it off my table:

This was my attempt to show how you can use vellum for the sentiment. It's kinda like that overlay idea above, only it's not the whole card. This would have worked better if I had brown Stazon ink, which I don't. (adds to shopping list)

My main challenge with vellum is attaching it. Or more to the point, how to disguise the attachment method. Vellum tape has never worked for me... you can still see it, and it yellows over time. For this card, I used glue dots and a Dimensional to attach the sentiment strip, and then disguised the adhesives with baubles:

It's all about the embellishments. There is a Dimensional under that button, and I wrapped baker's twine around the left side to help disguise the glue dots. (See how much nicer that would have looked with brown ink?)

Card info: Tree is from "Lovely As A Tree", which may be the oldest active SU set, maybe because there'd be a riot if they attempted to retire it. Sentiment is by Impression Obsession. Printed paper is a remnant from the Heaplet, and is actually from the Basic Grey Figgy Pudding (Christmas) collection.

Now go forth, dig out some vellum (or use something violet or floral, or something music-related) and create, then come back and link us over at Shopping Our Stash so we can seeeee what you've made!

Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. great cards. Vellum is really tricky to attach, you've done a great job
    hugs Julie P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. The guilt I feel over the drawers of pretty vellum I have too...thin, thick, colored, printed...and eyelets, oh yeah, I hear ya sista. I think I used a couple of eyelets a year ago lol. All those colors too. I still bet you have more than I :)

    Your cards are beautiful, Leslie! I really really love the tree card with the twine and buttons!!!!! Really really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful cards Leslie, love how you used your vellum! I defintely want to get more now!! By the way if you need more eyelets let me know....I happen to have some I'm not using LOL :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)