Sunday, December 16, 2012

OWH #151

I was going to call this post Craftastrophe Du Jour, but since the resulting cards weren't a total loss, I thought I'd stick with the OWH title.

I had my Basic Grey Lemonade paper pad out, so you'll be sick of it by the end of the day, but yes, I used it, starting with this project. I was following the new OWH Sketch:

and I immediately knew I could disappear some pink-ish paper. I also did a little "whoot" because I just bought the MFT Peek-A-Boo Trio die, and it was perfect for this challenge.

Here's what I made, then I'll explain:

I used most of two pieces of my Basic Grey Lemonade 6x6 paper pack. Baby steps, people, baby steps. You may notice my card has sections where the sketch does not. This was my OMG IT'S A GOOD THING I CAN LAUGH AT MYSELF moment that I thought would be the Craftastrophe Du Jour, but instead I ended up embracing it.  You see, the circle trio die doesn't just cut the three circles, like my brain thought it would. No no no no, it cuts three circles and the outer edge, too. So imagine my surprise when I thought, "Hmmm, I wonder if the edge will leave an impression on the card front." and instead I ended up with three pieces of card front! ACK! I was laughing out loud. I was so discombobulated I went ahead and cut the second card front, too.

The second of two:


I just cut the papers into two sections for the front, and mixed-and-matched. The only fall-out was ... well, there really wasn't any. By leaving the teeny tiniest of gaps between the panels it even fit onto the card front without additional trimming.

The hearts in the middle circles were punched from two of the circles. I lined up the heart punch with the line where the papers met to get it even. AND, to get the sentiment to fit into the circles, I actually cut my Paper Smooches sentiment. I did. It's quite liberating, and way easier than masking.

When I tied the string onto the card front, I purposely did not nestle it into the groove between the panels. I embrace this craftastrophe!

In other news, this was way too much work to mass-produce. I think I'll use plain circles stuck onto the card front next time I use the sketch.

Thanks for stopping by!

Products used but not linked below: SU Regal Rose marker, Basic Grey Lemonade 6x6 paper pack, twine from Wishy Washy Tapes.

Also, I've started including links to Ellen Hutson in addition to Simon Says Stamp, the better to enable you and your shopping preferences. :D Please tell me if it makes you crazy, though.




13 comments:

  1. ha! Don't you love it when you have a major mix up on a card and then you actually make it work? That's talent, I tell you! :) I think they turned out great. Love the mix and match papers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are talented because honestly, I can really tell what the mess up was! And you're fast too! I just printed this sketch! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jen, you have displayed some great talent here today. I love the way both turned out. I think it is good to make these booboos so we can become more creative soles. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Craftastrophe? Hardly - your cards turned out great. That's a new word for me that I'll add to my vocabulary! Great job on your cheerful cards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so NOT a catastrophe- 2 fabulous cards! I love the papers---and yup-I cut up stamps too! I agree that it is liberating! The heart is so sweet- nice touch! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cards are beautiful! Love the pink, of course! Nice save on these cards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great save!! They are beutiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you did a great job of saving the sketch design. Why do they have to make dies that cut the edges, especially on this kind of die? It wouldn't be difficult to trim it to any size you want.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That card looks so planned - no craftastrophe there - I think I am going to follow you, your funny!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it when a fail becomes a fantastic! So glad you embraced this because it's beautiful, and looks planned from beginning to end.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going to start saying Craftastrophe. It just makes me happy as a word :) Also, it seems to happen an awful lot ;) lol!
    I love how this accident turned into an awesome. And cutting stamps? Me too! Once you bring yourself to do it once, it just makes things so much easier :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweet cards! Love those papers! Way to make it work! tfs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great story!! Thanks for sharing the back-story on the cards, which are just lovely. I enjoy using paper pads so much. The papers work together and this makes creating cards so darn easy :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)