Sunday, December 23, 2012

Blue Thanks

I have the Simon Says Stamp STAMPtember Thank You Heart dies, and every time I go to use them, I'm stumped. The detail of the words seems to need a plain background, but I can't do plain (yawn) so I haven't used the dies yet. Until today!

I watched this video by Kristina Werner over at the Simon Says Stamp blog, and the way she colored her background and embossed the white sentiment? BINGO!

Here's my card:

On this first card I used the same colors Kristina did: Distress Salty Ocean, Peacock Feathers and Mowed Lawn. As I struggled to get all the bits of glue on the back of the sentiment, though, I got a clue and re-cut it from a piece of white card stock stuck onto a piece of a Sookwang sheet. That made the whole thing into one big sticker, and I lined it up with the blue heart.  THIS I like!

Then I thought to try Evergreen Bough in place of the Mowed Lawn, because it was a bit less green (more blue), and here's how that looks:

It's more subtle of a look. I like them both, I think. I ran a piece of white card stock through my Big Shot with a Cuttlebug folder, and since I didn't have paper the right color, and I didn't feel like inking the edges of the card front, I chose a "close enough" color of washi tape and used it instead. Way less messy. :)

Here are the two cards side-by-each so you can see the different colors:

Both have their merits. Oh, and that Cuttlebug folder works best on a 4x5.25 piece of card stock. I've been spoiled by the larger folders that do the whole A2 card front. I failed twice before I trimmed some card stock down. Sigh. And I was going to round the corners, but I forgot. Double sigh.

I think I'll change gears and play with some colored pencils next.

Thanks for stopping by!

Product enablement list:
Simon Says Stamp STAMPtember Thank You Heart dies (SSS)
Neenah Solar White card stock 25 sheets (SSS | EH) ream (SSS | EH)
Distress Salty Ocean ink (SSS | EH)
Distress Peacock Feathers ink (SSS | EH)
Distress Mowed Lawn ink (SSS | EH)
Distress Evergreen Bough ink (SSS | EH)
Blending tool (SSS | EH)
Ranger Craft Sheet (SSS | EH)
Sookwang sheets (SSS | EH)
Teflon bone folder (SSS | EH)
Fiskars paper trimmer (SSS | EH)
Cuttlebug Heart embossing folder (SSS)
Washi tape (don't know which company)

6 comments:

  1. Super pretty!! Love the soft blue wash of color on both cards. Very sweet and Valentine-y in a non-Valentine way. Does that make sense? Anyway, I {heart} them both!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! I like the one of the left best because of the contrast of colors - but they're both beautiful. Great dies and embossing folder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love this! so clean & pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like both of them, and that's an excellent idea about the Sookwang tape sheet. That one goes into my remembrall file.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aren't you on the ball today, coming up with a way to turn that into a sticker? I love both cards. You even used some of your Washi tape stash! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I like them both! And I can't figure out which inking I like better either. And washi instead of inking? Indeed less messy!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)