Wednesday, March 4, 2015

CSSC #2: Not-So-Literal Version

I've heard from several people over the years that they can only do a literal interpretation of a sketch. When I had my monthly sketch gig on the A Blog Named Hero blog, I liked to take a sketch and show you how to mix it up, turn it, flip it, or use different shapes, just to show you how to get the most out of a sketch.

I seem to have missed a few of you literal types, so please know that one of my goals with my own challenge is to try to help you see your options.

Today's card is an example of flipping and using a different shape. My sketch looks like this:


So I flipped it:


and made this:


Do you see an oval or a circle on my card? No, you do not. But this card totally follows the sketch. See:


Stating the obvious, the Reverse Wonky Rectangle is the oval and the upside-down bird is the small circle.

And I even added a small flutterby, mostly because there was an unfortunate smudge there and I was NOT starting over, again.

Hopefully this gives you some ideas on how to see a sketch differently, and to make it work for you. It's fun! Give it a try! If you do, please link up over at the original challenge post for CSSC #2.

Thanks for stopping by!

Stuff I used: Spellbinders Reverse Wonky Rectangles, A Muse Cloud Dies, and the following:



6 comments:

  1. I am the first one to admit I need visual help and this is perfect!!! Thank you for publishing this for me, now I can MAYBE/HOPEFULLY come up with something :-)
    Leslie, you are THE sketch master

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love playing with sketches! I usually modify them to suit the image I'm using. Your card is adorable and I like the sketch flipped on its side!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bwahaha, I love this card! Even when I think I'm going to follow a sketch literally, I usually manage to go off the trail somewhere. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love those birds...I am one of those literal ones...I know they can be changed up...but I think I get mentally locked on to the actual shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those little birds crack me up every time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That upside down bird is a scream. There's one at every party, isn't there? I appreciate your think-outside-the-box tutorial. But don't expect me to be getting all crazy like that though. lol

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)