Monday, January 2, 2012

January Collage

As if I don't have enough to do already, my bloggy pal Lauren introduced me to the Green Paper Collage Challenge. The first of each month they post digital images, and you need to make a collage project using a part of each one.  Well, I took an online Collage 101 class last year from Claudine Hellmuth, and I can tell you I definitely need practice. So since this is once-a-month, I figured I could probably fit it in.

The great thing about digital is you can mess with the colors, sizes, opacity, etc., of each of the images, so there are SO MANY possibilities.  Plus, with collages you can pile on lots of s-crap, thus allowing me to continue my "use what you've got" plan.

So here's my card, then I'll explain:

In my own defense, it started out normal. I had the girl and the tiny floral piece on top of the label image - I enlarged the label and reduced its opacity so it's kinda faded, and printed it on linen paper instead of card stock; I reduced the size of the girl, and really reduced the floral image, and printed them both on vanilla card stock. The lace is from a piece I got at the fabric store a few months ago, and I sewed it on. The stack of paper flowers is from a ginormous collection I have, and they are held together with an SU Kraft corduroy brad.

Then it got weird. It needed a sentiment, but where to put it? I decided it needed a banner, and it needed some unexpected irreverence. The girl kept staring at me, and it was boring, so I added some googlie eyes, printed out the sentiment on linen paper, and stuck it on a trimmed toothpick. That metal flower thingie on the right (from a pack I picked up at Mike's on my road trip...HEY, it was 49 cents for 6 brads) cleverly covers the bottom of the formerly disembodied banner holder.

So there you have it: a collage-y card with googlie eyes. Not something you see every day, eh? :)

Okay, then. I'm going back to play some more on this LAST day of my vacation. I have a few challenge sketches stacked up in there, and I hope to get to at least one of them before the day is out.

Thanks for stopping by!


17 comments:

  1. Great job with the collage (not one of my mastered techniques), very impressive! The googlie eyes are a riot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did it again. I am never disappointed with your witty, creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gotta say...she's a little scary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, great way to go Witt the challenge. The thing that made me laugh most was the idea that once a month means you can fit it in....would take me a month to stop tinkering and decide when it was finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I laughed out loud - darling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. duuuuuuuuuuuuuude!!! GOOGLIE EYES!!!!! of course! it's *EXACTLY* what that chick needed! i'm embarrassed i didn't think of it first, but i really REALLY didn't think of it... (ever...) so i bow to your collagey superiority!!! 'course... you had claudine helmuth teachin' ya the ropes! it pays to engage a pro, missus!!!!!! ♥♥♥ (holy moly i LOVE THIS!!!!!) :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The googlie are certainly different - love your sense of humour - hope you do more monthly challenges with all of us! Jewels

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gotta say I'm not a googlie eyes fan but they work here. She's a crack up. The juxtaposition between the vintage girl and modern eyes is perfect. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute! Love the googlie eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, this is so cool! Love those googly eyes. You did a fabulous job with this month's stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the most funny one. It make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job. I couldn't see what was going on with on the little icon until I hit the link. Love it!! Really made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I first saw her, I thought she was wearing sun glasses, hilarious!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)