Saturday, April 14, 2012

Hambo Hoedown - Smitten Nerd

The current Hambo Hoedown challenge is to use this Nerd image (free if you played last week and remembered to email them your card image):

to make your card. Or you can use another Hambo image if you want to. In addition to the Hambo image, we're supposed to use two different patterned papers on our cards. I immediately knew what I'd do. :D  I used this sketch from Eat, Sleep, Stamp (old, of course):

 and made this:

My initial idea was to make his shirt and pants out of different patterned papers - check. I just picked two from The Heaplet that were red-ish.

I decided he needed to have red hair. I've never colored red hair. I sent out an SOS to my tweeps and asked for guidance, and a sweet person responded with a list of Copic colors she uses. I have only 3 of them, but I forged ahead.  I think his head looks like it's on fire, but it works. It totally works!

Here he is, up close and personal:

 Oooh, maybe I should have given him some freckles...  You can see the handsomely pieced clothing. :)  I love that shirt buttoned all the way up.

I cut the image with oval Nestabilities to fit the sketch, and the other colors are Basic Grey for the oval mat, Ruby Red (I think) for the vertical piece and Basic Black for the horizontal piece.

Sentiment. I needed a sentiment. This layout didn't lend itself to a sentiment. Drat. You can see that I ended up printing out one of the sentiments that came with the image and cutting it apart to fit.

Then I decided the left side looked nekkid, so I went in search of  ... something ... to put there. Those curly wire things are tough to attach!! I knew I wanted to use Crystal Effects on his glasses to make them look like coke bottles (really thick), so I added a blob of CE under the curly wire thing to hold it in place. That looked ugly, so I needed to cover it up somehow. I ended up sticking a piece of knotted twine in the glue so it dried in place.

Then I took a nap while the glue dried. 

Oh, here are the Copic colors I used:

And because they're impossible to read from the photo (one of these days I'll make labels for the Ciao caps):

Skin: E000
Red hair: YR02, 04 and 07
Flowers: Y15, R05, YG11 and E37
Shoes: N4
Outline: N1

Heh heh, the N1 marker on the right is thinking deep thoughts.

Thanks for stopping by!

8 comments:

  1. OMG!!! He is so nerdy and sweet! :D Love his fiery, red hair and his mismatched clothes. I've always loved nerds, but this one needs some dental work, too. Just sayin'. ;)

    Super job, Leslie!! Love this card so, so, sooo much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Lisa - Funny that you say that about the dental work, because one of the sentiments I'd considered for this set was "Brace Yourself!" LOL

    Fun card Leslie, and I LOVE his mismatched prints! I think the hair looks great too. Thanks for playin'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is adorable and I love your choice of papers for his lovely outfit. I think his hair looks fine, for a nerd :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. your paper piecing is just perfect on this guy...awesome choice in patterns for his outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun card. I love his paper pieced clothes and his red hair...perfect for this image. Thanks for playing in the Hoedown.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Nerd came out totally cute, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great card for both challenges!!! Love your paper piecing. Thank you for playing at the Hoedown!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. His hair looks fabulous!! Love the pieced clothes too, and the way you cut the sentiment apart! Great Hoedown card!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)